Tag Archives: yobe

President Buhari hails FEC over approval of N8bn for Damaturu dam project.

Advertisements

Mala-Buni said that the project, approved by the Federal Executive Council, on Wednesday, would tremendously contribute to solving water scarcity in Damaturu

Gov. Mai Mala-Buni of Yobe has commended the Federal government for approving N8 billion for the construction of a dam in Damaturu to boost water supply, according to Alhaji Mamman Mohammed, his Director General, Press and Media Affairs.

In a statement, in Damaturu, Mala-Buni said that the project, approved by the Federal Executive Council, on Wednesday, would tremendously contribute to solving water scarcity in Damaturu, the state capital and its environs, as well as complement the state government’s efforts of finding a lasting solution to the problem.

Advertisements

“I want to specially appreciate president Muhammadu Buhari and the federal executive Council for considering and approving the completion of this very important project that would touch the lives of our people.

“This is another dividend of democracy extended to Yobe state by the President Muhammadu administration.

“It is important to us because, Damaturu has, over the years, increased in size and population, and is in need of a corresponding water supply.

“The state government has continuously been making efforts to improve water supply across the state to meet the water needs of the people” he said.

Advertisements

Gov. Mala-Buni assured of the cooperation of the state government and people of the state in ensuring the successful completion of the project.

The governor further said a committee on the rehabilitation of water facilities had been constituted and supported with a massive intervention, which had improved water supply in all the major towns of the state.

Advertisements

#Newsworthy

Orji Uzor Kalu Seeks Tenure Extension For Yobe Governor.

Advertisements

The Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, has urged the leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to extend the tenure of the Governor Mai Mala Buni led Caretaker Committee of the party to March 2021.

He made the request to the party’s National Executive Council (NEC) in a statement by his spokesperson, Kunle Oyewumi, on Monday.

Kalu, who is a former governor of Abia State, believes there is no need for a ‘fire brigade approach’ on the proposed convention scheduled for December.

“It is with deep patriotic concerns and the future growth of our great party that I am appealing to the National Executive Council to consider extending the tenure of Governor Mai Mala Buni led APC Caretaker Committee to March 2021, against the December proposed period.

Advertisements

“This is to give the caretaker committee members the needed time to put things in order and hand over properly to new leadership in the end,” he said.

The lawmaker stressed the importance of winning the forthcoming governorship election in Edo State, saying it was paramount to the party at the moment.

He was worried that the caretaker committee was not offering its best due to time constraints, adding that majority of the participants would be very busy with their national tasks during the December proposed period.

Kalu noted that lawmakers in the National Assembly and ministers would also be focused on budget preparation and defence and would not be in a better position to offer their best to the party.

Advertisements

He said, “I don’t see any need of fire brigade approach for them to hand over to new leadership by December.

“The committee is expected to focus their attention on Edo State because the Edo State election will determine the strength of any new leadership.”

According to the former governor, holding the convention in December will also not give the party the desired results needed.

He stated that some of the ministers would also need to travel to their wards and make adequate preparations for the party’s congress.


#Newsworthy…

Insurgents abduct village head and son in new Yobe attack.

Advertisements

Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents have attacked a community in Yobe State.

The attackers went into Mashio community in Fune Local Government Council and started shooting sporadically, abducting the village head, Isa Mai Buba, and his son.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the State, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim, and Acting Chairman of the affected Local Government, Abubakar Kolere confirmed the incident to Media (known to Noble Reporters Media)

Advertisements

They explained that the incident occurred on Saturday night, noting that the son of the village head escaped in the early hours of Sunday but his father is still in captivity.

The attack comes a few days after 14 people were recently killed by gunmen at Ukuru village in Mariga Local Government Area of Niger State.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abiodun Wasiu, confirmed the attack and casualty figure in a statement.

But a resident of the community, Musa Audu, who witnessed the attack, narrated what transpired in a phone conversation. Noble Reporters Media learnt

Advertisements

He explained that the gunmen invaded the community at a time when members of the vigilante were out of the community to patrol some of the forests in the area.

Audu, whose cousin was among those killed by the gunmen, stated that the attack took place during the popular Mariga market which had many traders from various locations.

He said bodies of 15 persons have been found, adding that many people who sustained injuries ran into a nearby bush and they were still being searched for.

Meanwhile, the PPRO has disclosed that the state command is making efforts to rescue the traditional ruler unhurt.


#Newsworthy…

Yobe: Father molesting daughter since 2015 finally impregnate her

Advertisements

The Yobe State Command of the Nigeria Police Force has paraded a 43-year-old man and a father of eight for allegedly impregnating his 16-year-old daughter in Damaturu, the state capital.

Speaking to journalists on Friday, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Dungus Abdulkarim said the suspect had earlier divorced his wife five years ago and did not re-marry.

The victim, whose pregnancy is said to be six-month-old noted that her father had been molesting her since 2015.

In another sad incident, a suspect who is said to be a deaf man had allegedly molested an 8-year-old boy.

The father of the victim said the act happened in Damaturu where the suspect lured his son into a mosque and, when he was caught, he pretended to be praying.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements

Yobe gov sends condolence to Borno gov over death of CoS

Advertisements

Gov. Mai Mala Buni of Yobe, on Wednesday commiserated with the government and people of Borno, over the death of Dr Babagana Wakil, Chief of Staff to Gov. Babagana Zulum.

In a statement through his Director-General, Press and Media Affairs, Mamman Mohammed, and made available to Media in Damaturu, the governor described the death of the late COS as a painful loss to Zulum, the government and people of both Borno and Yobe.

According to him, Borno and Yobe remain one, saying, “every misfortune that affects one, affects the other”.

He said the deceased was a complete gentleman who lived a life of service to humanity.

Advertisements

“Dr Babagana Wakil was a complete gentleman, a thorough breed, dedicated public officer and an accomplished administrator,” Buni said.

The governor prayed Almighty God to forgive his shortcomings and grant him eternal rest.

He also prayed that God grants his family, government and the people of Borno, the fortitude to bear the pains of his demise.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements

[Nigeria] Nasarawa police to arrest movement violators.


The police in Nasarawa State have said it will arrest people who violate the movement restrictions imposed by the state government.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Bola Longe, made this known on Tuesday during a stakeholders meeting in Lafia.

He also revealed that the Command has arrested over 400 persons in the state, stressing that no sacred cow will be spared.


>>> Yobe adopt Mobile Court to prosecute offenders <<<


Yobe State Government says it will establish mobile courts to prosecute violators of border closure directives and those coming into the state through illegal routes.

The Commissioner of Home Affairs, Information and Culture, Abdullahi Bego who is also member of the State COVID-19 Prevention and Control Committee, made this known on Tuesday while addressing journalists.

Bego who noted that the state is yet to record the disease has said precautionary measures have been put in place to curtail the spread of the disease.

According to him, trucks carrying essential commodities such as food items and other consumables are allowed to carry along assistant driver and the owner of the goods only.

Other resolutions reached were use of face mask in public places, observance of social distancing, hand washing with soap and water and also stay at home to prevent transmission of the disease.

To the Commissioner, the sub-committee on security and border closure will conduct stop and search in major motor parks to ensure that passengers are fully accounted for


>>> Sokoto begin tracing of index contact <<<


Sokoto State COVID-19 Response Team has deployed medical experts to begin the tracing of all contacts associated with the index case discovered in the state.

Chairman of the Response team and State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mohammed Inname revealed this during a briefing with newsmen in Sokoto, the state capital.

Iname assured that all those that have made contacts with the patient will be traced.

According to him, the state COVID-19 index case has been transferred to the isolation and treatment center situated in Amanawa, Dange Shuni Local Government and that patient is now stable and recovering.

He also said the state government is investigating the cause of transmission to the index patient infected by the coronavirus.

The Commissioner explained that the Response Team will begin active case test in the next 48hours, as part of strategy deploy to ensure that the general public did not suffer in this pandemic.

The state government also urged the general public to render valid information to ease the tracing task.


#Newsworthy…

Fire gut properties, food reserves in Yobe, Nigeria.


About eight households including foodstuffs have been destroyed by a fire outbreak in Garin Danga village of Nangere local government area, Yobe state, yesterday.

The Executive Secretary, State Emergency Management Agency, (SEMA) Dr. Mohammed who confirmed the incident when he visited the affected community today to ascertain level of damages, said most of the community’s food reserves were burnt to ashes.


He noted the disaster also affected a family who is just about to wed off their daughters lost all the items bought ahead of the wedding.

The team assured the community that, as directed by Governor Mai Mala Buni, first line support will reach them within 48 hours of the assessment.

Dr. Goje, further called on the community to be vigilant in order to avoid reoccurrence.


#Newsworthy…

Yobe provide tricycles to ease maternal transportation


Yobe State has procured 28 customised tricycle ambulances in order to ease the transportation of pregnant women in labour and other emergencies in hard-to-reach areas in the state.

Yobe state has one of the highest rates of maternal deaths in Nigeria.


On Friday, the State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, declared the training of the ambulance’s drivers open.

The training is being conducted in partnership with the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).

Represented by the State’s Commissioner of Health, Dr. Lawan Gana, the Governor handed over the tricycle keys to the drivers and charged them to handle the improvised ambulances with care to reduce maternal deaths in the state.

The Sector Commander of the FRSC in Yobe State, Ezekiel Sonallah, believes the training will help the drivers take precautionary measures in transporting pregnant women, and during other emergencies.


#Newsworthy…

Yobe Emir’s attack: Senate presidency, Ahmad frownsk


President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has condemned the gun attack in Kaduna on the convoy of the Emir of Potiskum, Yobe State, Alhaji Umaru Bubaram.

Gunmen on Tuesday night attacked the convoy of the Emir around Maraban Jos on Kaduna-Zaria road, killing some of the Emir’s aides and leaving others injured.


Lawan expressed his condolence with the revered Emir and the families of those killed in the sad incident.

The Senate President also prayed for speedy recovery of the Emir and others who were injured.

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan


Lawan called on the security agencies to ensure that everyone with a hand in the heinous crime is brought to justice.

He also called on the security agencies to ensure quick rescue of those who were abducted in the incident.


#Newsworthy…

Bumpy Nursing Mother And 3 Children Died In Yobe Fire Disaster


A fire incident which occurred in Damaturu, the Yobe state capital claimed the lives of a pregnant mother and her three children.

Though the cause of the fire which razed down two flats is still not known, it was gathered that the late woman’s husband identified simply as Mr Adamu was able to rescue their last child while escaping with burns.

Speaking to newsmen, the Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Muhammad Goje disclosed that four lives were lost in the fire incident which razed down two flats completely.


He said;

“It was with a heavy heart we received the report and despite the curfew, we went out and reached the six-storey house. A family of six, a pregnant mother and her three children, unfortunately, died during the incident and the father was able to throw one of the children and he was also safe but the father sustained some burns.


“Two households burnt, lost four lives,”

A doctor at Damaturu specialist hospital told Channels Television that Mr Adamu who seems to be in a critical state has been attended to and will receive adequate treatment.

The Doctor said;

“The patient was brought in with a flame burn at about 12 am this morning and according to the assessment that was made, the burns were about 20 percent of his body and he was attended to as a flame burn emergency.

“According to the report I was given, there were people that lost their lives.”


#Newsworthy…

PMB returns from Egypt after official visit.

…accompanied by Governors Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa, Godwin Obaseki of Edo and Mai Mala Buni of Yobe

President Muhammadu Buhari is back to Abuja after a trip to Egypt, where he attended the Aswan Forum designed to set “An Agenda for Sustainable Peace and Development in Africa.”

The aim of the forum was to “address the interconnections between peace and development in Africa while promoting Africa-led solutions through strengthening policies and practices.”

He left Tuesday accompanied by Governors Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa, Godwin Obaseki of Edo and Mai Mala Buni of Yobe for the two-day Forum held on December 11-12.

The presidential chopper, which conveyed him to Aso Rock Villa from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, landed about 3:15pm Friday.

Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, launched the initiative in his capacity as the Chairman of the African Union.

Buhari had at the opening session of the Aswan Forum for Sustainable Peace and Development in Africa on Wednesday, announced the visa on arrival as a way of promoting free movement and facilitating the full implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA).

The President had said: “We in Nigeria have already taken the strategic decision to bring down barriers that have hindered the free movement of our people within the continent by introducing the issuance of visa at the point of entry into Nigeria to all persons holding passports of African countries with effect from January, 2020.”

He also said for Africa to progress, the continent must prevent and resolve the conflicts slowing it down.

#Newsworthy…

Breaking – Yobe governor suspends ward, Lawan for defiling six year old boy.

Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe state has ordered the suspension of the district Head of Fannami Ward, Lawan Mari in Bade Local Government of the state for alleged defiling a six year-old-boy.

According to a statement released by the state’s Commissioner for Information, Home Affairs and Culture, Abdullahi Bego, the Governor has directed swift action against the district head.

The statement reads:

His Excellency has directed that appropriate administrative and legal measures be taken swiftly to investigate and prosecute the matter.

Consequently, the traditional ruler involved has been suspended indefinitely from his position as ward head of Fannami Ward, Gashu’a pending the outcome of police investigation into the matter.

A letter to that effect has already been served the ward head by Bade Local Government Council.”

As directed, a letter of suspension has already been issued to the district head.

#Newsworthy…