The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has not postponed the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) as rumoured in some quarters.
There were rumours that the ongoing exams had been rescheduled, especially after several government directives — including shutting of schools nationwide — aimed at preventing the spread of the coronavirus in the country.
But in a post on its social media page on Thursday, the board described such rumours as untrue, adding that the examination would come to a close on Saturday.
It added that only few candidates in Bayelsa and Rivers states who had their exam dates adjusted would sit for the exam next week.
“This is to bring to the notice of the public that the Board has not rescheduled its examinations as being rumoured around,” it wrote on Twitter.
This is to bring to the notice of the public that the Board has not rescheduled its examinations as being rumoured around. All examinations would end on Saturday, 21 March 2020 with the few candidates in Bayelsa and
“All examinations would end on Saturday, 21 March 2020 with the few candidates in Bayelsa and Rivers States only who were earlier scheduled to sit the examinations next week.
“The Board hereby advises candidates in the two states to reprint their slips to note the venue and time of their adjusted examination schedules.”
Rivers States only who were earlier scheduled to sit the examinations next week. The Board hereby advises candidates in the two states to reprint their slips to note the venue and time of their adjusted examination schedules.
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has suspended 47 computer-based test (CBT) centres across the country over various forms of infractions.
The board disclosed this in the latest edition of its weekly bulletin released on Monday.
The exam body also noted that the centres were suspended on grounds ranging from their “inability to produce JAMB vital security instruments entrusted to them and technical deficiency during third-party examination.”
Others include “extortion of candidates directly or through proxy and for one or more registration infractions.”
The exam body also disclosed that it has registered a total of 2.1 million candidates for this year’s exam.
“A total number of 1,949,983 registered for UTME, while 160,640 registered for Direct Entry,” it wrote in the bulletin.
This is coming after its February 17 deadline for prospective candidates to register for the exam. The recent figure is also an increase from its recently announced 1.9 million registered candidates.
The development makes it the first time JAMB would record such huge registration since 1978, with the highest being an estimated 1.8 million candidates in 2019.
This year’s examination is coming on the heels of several controversies that had earlier trailed requirements set by the board.
JAMB had in January suspended the use of the National Identification Number (NIN) for registration of 2020 candidates following outrage over the difficulty associated with process.
As the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) holds mock for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) today (Tuesday, February 18, 2020), Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu has warned sitting candidates against examination malpractices.
While warning universities and other tertiary institutions to abide by the rules of the Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) established by JAMB, Adamu noted that the government is aware of the corrupt practices such as admission racketeering, amongst others.
“Candidates who are billed to sit for the 2020 UTME are urged to refrain from any form of malpractices as this administration detests all forms of corruption, including examination malpractice and admission racketeering.
“Permit me to seize this opportunity to state that the leadership of any higher institution found to be involved in admitting any candidate without the prior approval of the board or outside the established platform – CAPS – would be considered and treated as corrupting the system,” Punch quoted Adamu as saying.
Dr Fabian Benjamin, the JAMB’s Head of Media and Information, had however disclosed that the board has so far registered over 1.9 million prospective candidates for its 2020 UTME, with a few hours to the end of the exercise.
Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), announced yesterday that the National Identity Number (NIN) will no longer be a pre-requisite for candidates interested in registering for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE) admission process.
It also announced a temporary suspension of its partnership with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), in the registration and issuance of NIN to candidates.
JAMB had, hitherto, made NIN a pre-requisite for registration for the 2020 UTME with a view to eliminate cases of impersonation as was recorded in 2019 UTME exercise.
Explaining the reason for the suspension, the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, who addressed journalists in Abuja, yesterday said: “We had agreed that NIN would be a pre-requisite for registration for 2020 UTME which will commence on Monday (tomorrow). But there was public outcry on the frustrations and difficulties that candidates were subjected to before getting the NIN.
“We were forced to review our strategies and we arrived at a point that it was obvious that we could not go ahead with NIN as pre-requisite for registration because of the challenges that might affect the participation of large number of candidates.
“To this end, we have decided to suspend the use of NIN for 2020 UTME exercise. We have unanimously agreed to shift the use of NIN to 2021 when candidates must have been given enough time and opportunity to get the NIN. However, about 11, 000 of our staff, permanent and adhoc, that would participate in the exercise would still be required to submit their NIN for verification.”
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has suspended the compulsory use of the National Identification Number (NIN) for the registration of candidates for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry until 2021.
The JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed this during a briefing at the headquaters of the board in Bwari, Abuja. According to him, the move was to provide more time for candidates to get their national identification numbers.
It was gathered that the decision to suspend the use of NIN for 2020 UTME registration followed criticisms from the public over the poor timing policy and the difficulty in obtaining the NIN by prospective candidates.
With this development, candidates can now apply for the 2020 UTME/DE which is set to commence January 13, 2020 without NIN.
The date for the commencement of the JAMB examination remains March 14th, 2020.
Some prospective candidates of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination has expressed displeasure at the cumbersome process of registration and enrolment for National Identity Number.
A large number of the candidates, who besieged the headquarters of National Identity Management Commission on Wednesday in Abuja lamented the stress they were made to pass through and spent three to four days before issuance of temporary card.
Most of the students said the exercise was a waste of time and energy as they spent four days before they were registered.
The students said the process was slow because the officials were not on the ground to attend to them.
The candidates fumed at how they were made to line up and suffered under the scotching sun.
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board had recently announced its partnership with NIMC with a view to harmonising data of candidates for the forthcoming UTME.
The House of Representatives had asked JAMB to suspend the policy till 2021 to allow more time and better awareness for prospective candidates.