Tag Archives: trader

Don’t increase prices of goods – FG plead with Traders as COVID-19 insist further


The Federal Government has appealed to traders not to hike prices of food items and transportation as the country battles to contain the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic.

Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information, Culture, and Tourism, made the appeal at the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 daily news briefing on Thursday in Abuja.

He said it was necessary that market women and men understood the enormity of the time regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.

He added that there is a need to show compassion to all Nigerians by not hiking prices of foodstuff and services.

The minister said that this period was a time to give back to society while calling on Nigerians not to take the opportunity of COVID-19 to further oppress other Nigerians.

Advertisements

“This is a time people are giving back to society. We call on our compatriots not to take the opportunity to oppress the people,” he urged.

He said that it was regrettable that despite being aware of the danger posed by COVID-19, the NUTRW members still flout the guidelines of the lockdown as they carried passengers above the approved number.

The minister noted that some members of the union had refused to accept that COVID-19 was real, adding that this can be the reason for flouting the guidelines by carrying five to four passengers.

Advertisements

He said that the members had refused to heed the call by PTF to take precaution in carrying passengers, warning that such can be detrimental to their health.

The minister also called on state governors to engage members of NUTRW in their states in order to salvage the situation and contain the deadly virus.

“We need to carry NUTRW along. We cannot micromanage their activities in the state from the center,” he said.

Advertisements

Mohammed said that the NUTRW had the mechanism to engage their members, adding that they had been warned not to carry more than three passengers.

The minister said commercial cab and private are enjoined to carry only one passenger in the front and two at the back seat.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Court orders Atiku, Saraki to pay N5m Damages to Trader, presidency react.

Advertisements

Presidential Aide, Lauretta Onochie has reacted to a recent court judgement ordering the former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar and the director-general of his campaign, Bukola Saraki to pay a trader N5 million in damages.

The trader, one Amuda Adeleke filed a lawsuit against the Atiku campaign organization after her photograph was used without her permission for a billboard advert. Onochie expressed joy at the development adding that it was ‘colossal damage’ to be on a PDP Billboard.

“A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered PDP’s 2019 candidate @atiku, & his Campaign Director @bukolasaraki, to pay ₦5m damages to a trader, Amuda Adeleke, for unauthorised use of her photograph on PDP campaign billboard.”

Advertisements

“More please. Its colossal damage to be on PDP billboard” she tweeted.

On Monday, a federal high court sitting in Lagos presided over by Justice Ayokunle Faji, made the monetary award to the trader, Adeleke, ordering that the N5m would be jointly and severally paid by Atiku, Saraki, the PDP and Peter Obi, who was Atiku’s running mate.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Border Closure: Trader remanded over smuggling 180 bags of foreign rice


Justice Patricia Ajoku of the Federal High Court, Ibadan, on Monday ordered that trader, Kabir Folorunso, or allegedly smuggled-in 180 bags of banned foreign rice, be remanded in a correction centre, pending bail.


Ajoku ordered the defendant, who hails from Ogbomoso, in Oyo state, to be remanded in Agodi Correctional Centre after he had pleaded not guilty to the charge.

She adjourned the case until April 23, for bail application and fixed Apri, 26 for commencement of trial.


Earlier, Counsel to the Nigeria Customs Service, Mr Musa Onimisi, told the court that the defendant was arraigned on a charge bordering on unlawful dealing in contraband.

He alleged that the defendant committed the offence on Oct. 19, 2019, on the Ogbomoso-Igbeti road, Oyo State.

He told the court the operatives of the customs service apprehended the defendant, as he allegedly tried to smuggle in the 180 bags of banned imported rice in an ash-coloured truck with Reg. no. STA11XA.

The prosecutor said that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 164 (A) of Custom and Excise Act 2004.


#Newsworthy…

Rivers governor, wike meet with residents over proposed construction of bridge

...for cooperation with the government


Rivers governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has called on traders and residents to cooperate with the Rivers State Government to deliver the Rebisi, Rumuogba and Okoro-Nu-Odo flyover bridges on schedule.

Governor Wike on Thursday moved from Shop to Shop at Rebisi (formerly Garrison) and Rumuogba (formerly Artillery) flyover bridges sites, personally appealing to the traders and residents to vacate the buildings marked for demolition.


The governor urged traders and residents to make sacrifices, since the flyover bridges will be in the interest of all residents of the state.

He said: “I have come to speak to them, let them appreciate our efforts better . Now times are hard, but they have to understand us.


“I took it upon myself to personally explain to them that the time we notified them has elapsed. But I have extended it to Tuesday next week, after which demolition will start.

“I am here because I don’t want Julius Berger to have excuses. These bridges must be delivered on schedule”.


“I am here to personally appeal to the people because I feel their pain. But this is a sacrifice everyone must make for the state to move forward.

“To do three flyover bridges the same time is not an easy task. Therefore, we must work hard to achieve the target. The target is that Julius Berger must hand over the three flyover bridges on 20 February, 2021.


“It is about one year from now, the time will elapse and people will start saying nothing was done. We don’t want such a situation”.

Wike also informed that the Rivers State Government had paid compensation to the owners of the marked houses, pointing out that they were duly notified that the demolition would take place.


He, however, said that he decided to visit the traders in order to give the entire process a human face.

“I am here to give this construction process a human process. You supported me, but this is for the good of the people”, he said.

The governor was accompanied by officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Works and engineers of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc.

He also inspected ongoing reconstruction of major roads in the Old GRA, Port Harcourt.


#Newsworthy…

Police in ketu handcuffed trader’s shop after stopping them from arresting his two customers.


Police officers in Ketu, a surburb in Lagos state, have been accused of ”handcuffing” a shop gate after the owner prevented them from arrested two of his customers in Lagos early this morning.

Twitter user @pappydgivher shared the photo of the ”handcuffed” shop gate and wrote

This happened this morning at Balogun Oyeru street in Ketu.Officers of the

@Policeng were raiding and came across boys in this shop.Only for the shop owners to lock the gate.The officers insisted they open but they refused and they cuffed them in.

Police

Police


#Newsworthy…

28 years old Trader commit suicide over man in Bayelsa


A 28-year-old female fruit seller, identified as Joy Osain, has allegedly killed herself by drinking a poisonous substance suspected to be Sniper.

The late Osain, a source in Azikoro village where the incident happened, said she was residing with Eze Augustus the boyfriend before the unfortunate incident happened.


The source, said that contrary to the allegation that the man beat the lady to death, the lady felt bad because the man brought in another lady into the house where they were living together. NobleReporters learnt

The source said: “See, I have to tell you the truth because I know you. The lady drank Sniper because she found out that the boyfriend brought in another lady who was incidentally the girlfriend of her lover into the house.


“They started quarrelling and she drank Sniper. As at when Joy fell on the floor outside and died, the boyfriend was not even around. They called him and told him. He now ran to the police station to report.

“The relatives of the girl came and destroyed the boy’s house saying that he beat their sister to death.”

When Sunday Telegraph visited the family of the deceased at Agbura community where the late girl hailed from, the father, Chief Abida, who was visibly pained, said: “I don’t have anything to say now. How can they still arrest three persons that went to take my daughter to the mortuary after the death of my daughter?

“If they didn’t arrest them, I would have let go but now they are in detention. Please I don’t have anything to say. I’m sorry.”


#Newsworthy…

Trader sues Saraki, Atiku.

Amuda Adeleke, a trader in Victoria Island, Lagos, has sued Bukola Saraki, a former Senate President, who was also Director-General of the Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation for the 2019 general election, for portraying her in a poster as poor.

Adeleke also joined in the suit Abukabar, his running mate, Peter Obi and the Peoples Democratic Party.

She said her picture was taken without her consent and put to pubic use where she was portrayed like she was deprived and less privileged.

The suit, which was filed before the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, is praying the court to award N45m damages to the plaintiff for the unauthorised and unlawful use of her photographs.

She explained through the court papers that Saraki and his campaign crew had come to Victoria Island during the election to canvass for votes, adding that she was not aware that the photographs taken would become a part of PDP’s campaign souvenir

She said she was shocked when she started receiving phone calls from relatives and friends, who had seen the campaign billboards on which her photo was displayed.

However, Saraki and the other respondent sdenied that they had any contact with the woman.

The respondents argued that their campaign materials were managed by a third party, and that the company sought her consent and interviewed her before using her pictures.

The respondents said she had given her name as Tope Olukolu.

They also claimed she was paid before her photographs were used.

The court has now adjourned the case to January 2020 for the continuation of hearing.

#Newsworthy…