Tag Archives: Seyitan Babatayo

Rape: Seyitan had no evidence against Dbanj – Police says

Advertisements

The Nigeria Police have cleared popular Nigerian singer and songwriter D’banj, of the rape allegations leveled against him by a twitter user Miss Seyitan Babatayo.

This was contained in a report signed by Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Umar Sanda on behalf of Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Criminal Investigations Department, Force Headquarters, and obtained by the Newsmen, on Saturday.

It would be recalled that the allegation led to strong social and media controversy with several declarations of the innocence of the singer by his fans and admirers coming up against those who believed Babatayo was telling the truth.

Advertisements

D’banj had claimed that there was no truth in the allegation and blamed it on the handiwork of his enemies who he alleged were out to destroy his hard-earned reputation.

The musician subsequently instituted an N1.5 Billion defamation lawsuit against Babatayo in spite of the support she got from a prominent women’s rights group.

However, the report by the police investigation unit did not find any substantial evidence to prove that D’banj committed the act and that Babatayo had withdrawn the petition filed against D’banj.

“This is a case of indecent assault on female, rape, intimidation, and the threat to life reported by Seyitan Babatayo through a petition letter dated June 5, 2020, by the Law firm of Ojoge, Omileye, and Partners against Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo a.k.a D’banj.

Advertisements

“The petition is to the Inspector-General of Police which was endorsed to the Deputy Inspector-General of Police FCID for investigation and further referred to the ACP SEB/PEPF for investigation and report.

“The fact of this case is that on Dec. 30, 2018, Mr. Franklin Amudo who was a manager to the suspect invited the complainant Seyitan to an all-white party at Eko Atlantic in Lagos, where the suspect performed as a guest music artiste.

“The complainant alleged that D’banj had sex with her against her wish but in view of the foregoing facts, the investigation was discontinued as there was no substantial evidence to prove the allegation of rape against the suspect,” the report read in parts.

Meanwhile, Babatayo has denied the statement that she reached out to Human Rights Activist and #ENDSARS advocate, Mr. Segun Awosanya, a.k.a Segalink, asking for his intervention in the rape case.

Advertisements

Babatayo urged her supporters especially STER, a non-governmental organization to act with honesty in the matter even as she expressed appreciation for the group’s support so far.

Awosanya had equally demanded an apology following a statement from the nongovernmental organization that he was contacted by Babatayo on the matter.

He described the allegation as deliberate and mischievous falsehood intended to malign his person and reputation.

“I demand a retraction of the group’s statement and the issuing of an apology within the next 24 hours or a lawsuit will follow,” Awosanya said


#Newsworthy…

Seyitan speaks amid dismissal of rape petition against Dbanj

Advertisements

Seyitan Babatayo has taken to her twitter to release a statement after it was revealed that she has withdrew her petition against singer D’banj after accusing him of rape.

Seyitan made other points in her statement as she ended with: “I really want my PEACE. Thank you.”

“I want my peace,” Seyitan Babatayo says as she releases statement after dismissing her petition against D
In a statement released after Seyitan withdrew her petition against the musician, Stand To End Rape Initiative (STER) challenged activist Segun Awosanya, aka Segalink of trying to “pervert justice” in the case between Seyitan Babatayo and D’banj.

Advertisements

STER also claimed in the report that Segalink texted an address to Seyitan and asked her to attend a meeting with D’banj there.

STER said the meeting was aimed at negotiating a special settlement and Seyitan’s legal counsel was also scheduled to be in attendance.

The NGO said that they were also invited to the meeting but declined because “out-of-court settlements go against STER’s policy.”

STER said that “such settlements, in our experience, often involve an asymmetry of power between the accused and victim.”
They added in the statement: “More importantly, while private settlements are usual in civil disputes, they are, however, not applicable to criminal cases, particularly where a felony has been alleged to have been committed, only the State has the authority to discontinue a criminal investigation and prosecution.


#Newsworthy….