Tag Archives: mertens

Mertens officially Renews his Napoli contract till 2022

Advertisements

Dries Merens has finally put pen to paper on a new Napoli contract, keeping him at the club for at least two more years.

Advertisements

Mertens’ signature came on Wednesday afternoon, just hours before Napoli are due to contest the Coppa Italia Final.

“Happy to be together for a long time. Long live Dries!” tweeted President Aurelio De Laurentiis.

He has extended his deal until 2022, with the option of a third season at the San Paolo, after declining moves to Chelsea and Inter.

Despite just turning 33, he is a true fans’ favourite for the Partenopei and – in netting the goal against Inter that booked their place in the Coppa Final – became their all-time top scorer.

Since joining from PSV in 2013, Mertens has scored 122 goals and assisted 73 in 310 appearances for Napoli.

Must Read

Mertens goal sends Inter outta Copa italia


#NobleSports…

Advertisements

Mertens goal sends Inter outta Copa italia

Advertisements

Dries Mertens set a club record by scoring the decisive goal as Napoli advanced to the Italian Cup final after drawing with Inter Milan 1-1 on Saturday.

Advertisements

In both sides’ first match in more than three months due to the coronavirus pandemic, Inter took an early lead when Christian Eriksen scored directly from a corner kick, with David Ospina conceding a howler as the ball bounced underneath him.

Mertens equalised before the break by finishing off a splendid counterattack, and eclipsed Marek Hamsik as Napoli’s leading scorer with his 122nd in all competitions.

Napoli advanced 2-1 on aggregate inside an empty San Paolo Stadium, having won the first leg 1-0 in February.

‘We wanted to reach the final at all costs,’ Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne said.

In the final on Wednesday in Rome, Napoli will face Juventus, which eliminated AC Milan on away goals on Friday in the first match of Italian soccer’s restart.

Advertisements

No games had been played since the country since March 9.

Before kickoff, a minute of silence was observed to mourn the more than 34,000 people who have died from the virus in Italy. Three medical workers wearing white lab coats stood at midfield surrounded by the teams on the centre circle.

Advertisements

‘Hopefully we brought them some joy tonight,’ Insigne said of the medical workers and others who have been affected the most during the pandemic.

After the minute, Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso looked to the sky – likely remembering his younger sister, Francesca, who died last week from diabetes.

‘We dedicate this win to him,’ Insigne said of Gattuso.

Advertisements

During the warmup, Inter players wore armbands that read ‘#NoToDiscrimination’.

Napoli goalkeeper David Ospina was caught off guard when Eriksen’s corner found its way through traffic and went through his legs two minutes in.

But Ospina redeemed himself with difficult saves and set up Mertens’ goal with a splendid long ball to Insigne.

Insigne smartly attracted two defenders before leaving the ball for a wide open Mertens to calmly finish.

Advertisements

It was such a swift counterattack that referee Gianluca Rocchi had to be treated with a spray on the sideline for an apparent muscular problem.

‘We try this play often in training,’ Insigne said.

On Napoli’s all-time scoring list, Mertens moved seven goals ahead of Diego Maradona, who is third.

Mertens is also due for a contract extension, Napoli sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli confirmed before kickoff.

Advertisements

Napoli is attempting to win its sixth Italian Cup and first since 2014. The title would also provide Napoli with direct entry into the Europa League group phase – a welcome prospect amid a difficult Serie A season that saw Gennaro Gattuso replace the fired Carlo Ancelotti as coach in December.

Napoli is also still to play the return leg of the Champions League round of 16 against Barcelona, following a 1-1 first leg.

Must read

Inter focuses on Cavani as Mertens chooses Napoli stay


#NobleSports

Advertisements

Inter focuses on Cavani as Mertens chooses Napoli stay


Inter are now concentrating their efforts on Edinson Cavani after Dries Mertens opted to stay at Napoli.

Advertisements

Cavani is also available on a free transfer but, unlike Mertens, Paris Saint-Germain have not opened talks to renew the striker’s contract.

However, given his different profile to the Belgian, sources explains he would form part of a new-look Nerazzurri attack.

That is because Lautaro Martinez could join Barcelona, Alexis Sanchez will return to Manchester United and Sebastiano Esposito is set to be loaned out.

The 33-year-old, for his part, has been replaced in PSG’s front line by Mauro Icardi this season, and the Inter loanee looks like making his stay permanent.

Advertisements

For a deal to happen, Il Corriere warns Inter must see off competition from Atletico Madrid.

It is thought Atletico could offer him closer to his current €18m salary, but the Beneamata are almost certain to be able to offer Champions League football.


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Mertens ‘Puzzled’ As He Only Have Decide His Future At Napoli


Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis has allegedly given Dries Mertens one week to either extend his contract with the Partenopei or decide to move on.

Advertisements

Inter have reportedly been trying to lure the Belgium international away from the San Paolo and coach Antonio Conte would welcome Napoli’s joint all-time leading goalscorer to San Siro and pair him with international teammate Romelu Lukaku.

But the 33-year-old is yet to make his mind up and has received a contract offer from the Azzurri, who are losing patience with the veteran.

La Gazzetta dello Sport claims the Partenopei patron has given Mertens an ultimatum to sign the deal within a week, otherwise the club will start planning for a future without him.

Advertisements

Mertens’ current contract in Naples expires on June 30 this year and the forward has been able to discuss terms with possible suitors since January.


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Mertens ‘interested in move to London’ as Chelsea remain keen on Napoli forward

Advertisements

Napoli forward Dries Mertens remains an option for Chelsea.

The 32-year-old Belgian is out of contract in the summer and has a number of offers on the table but is interested in a move to London.

Advertisements

Frank Lampard wanted Mertens in January, despite the fact he turns 33 next week, as he can cover a number of positions.

Chelsea’s priorities in the window are expected to be a striker, centre back and left back.

Mertens would definitely tick the box for the former, with the veteran on the cusp of being Napoli’s all-time record goalscorer.


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Mertens is keeps options open amid Chelsea and inter’s interest

Advertisements

Dries Mertens is keeping his options open with his current Napoli contract due to expire on June 30, with Chelsea and Inter both interested in signing the Belgium international forward.

Advertisements

The 32-year-old was close to renewing his Napoli contract before the coronavirus-enforced shutdown brought football across Europe and much of the world to a halt. Negotiations between Mertens and his club are now at a standstill and, with many of the continent’s clubs facing uncertain financial futures, out-of-contract stars like Mertens are expected to be in increasing demand.

Frank Lampard is a known admirer of Mertens and Chelsea even tried to sign him on a short-term deal in January to refresh their options in attack.

The Blues were unable to find a viable solution to sign Mertens with the Belgian reluctant to leave as he approached becoming the all-time top scorer for the club.

Advertisements

The striker matched the goalscoring record set by Marek Hamsik by netting in the Champions League match against Barcelona but he is still keen on earning the record outright.

He is also seen as an icon amongst the Napoli fans and he wants to maintain a good image despite his recent fraught relations with club chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis.

The pair patched up their grievances in a lunch meeting ahead of the lockdown on March 1 with De Laurentiis having bought his forward’s match shirt from Napoli’s game against Barcelona at a charity auction.

Napoli were keen to renew Mertens’ contract but the coronavirus situation has complicated matters. Budgets are squeezed even at the biggest clubs, leaving players with contracts expiring in strong negotiating positions.

Advertisements

Chelsea had only wanted to sign Mertens on a short-term deal in the hope of convincing a younger star to join in the summer with Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho topping a list that also included RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner and Lyon’s Moussa Dembele.

One sticking point to complete a deal for the Blues is that they typically only offer one-year contracts for players aged 30 and over and the Belgium international will turn 33 in May.

Inter are among Chelsea’s competition for the forward, who has scored 12 goals and added six assists in 29 appearances in the 2019-20 season. Mertens will also seek assurances from any club that he will be a regular starter.


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Lampard ‘calls Mertens almost every day’ to encourage Napoli star to move

Advertisements

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard is “calling Dries Mertens almost every day” to encourage the Napoli striker to move, claims transfer intermediary Vincenzo Morabito.

Advertisements

There had already been multiple reports of strong Chelsea interest in the Belgium international in January, and he will be a free agent when his Napoli contract expires in the summer.

“Mertens had originally said he wanted to stay at Napoli, but then his lawyer started offering him to various international clubs, meaning something changed between the player and the Azzurri,” Morabito told Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli.

“I know this because I was working on the Olivier Giroud issue when he was meant to leave Chelsea in January, with a lucrative contract line up for Mertens.

“Chelsea have now extended Giroud’s contract as a precaution, but they are very interested in Mertens and Lampard is calling him almost every day. I can see Mertens going to Chelsea.”

Advertisements

Inter, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool have also been mentioned when it comes to the Belgian striker.

Meanwhile, Morabito also gave an update on the Edinson Cavani situation.

“I spoke to the people who are looking after his interests and it seems to me he will sign on for another year with PSG. The alternative would be Atletico Madrid.”


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Lampard ‘makes direct contact with Mertens’ as he makes new forward priority

Frank Lampard has reportedly held discussions with Napoli’s Dries Mertens as he looks to add depth to his attacking options.

Advertisements

The Chelsea manager was unable to bolster his attacking options in the January transfer window, and is again set to make this a priority in the summer.

Chelsea have already strengthened their attacking options with the signing of Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, and now Lampard reportedly has his eyes on netting Mertens on a free transfer.

According to Italian publication Gianluca Di Marzio, Lampard has made ‘direct contact’ with the Belgian, to identify whether he would be interested in a switch to the Premier League club.

Advertisements

Mertens, 32, has yet to make a decision on his future at Napoli which is set to expire i the summer.

The Italian club have had a tumultuous season, due to a civil war behind the scenes between players and owner Aurelio De Laurentiis.

After an inconsistent start to the season, the drama reached boiling point when the club’s players refused to attend a training camp organised by the chairman following their draw to Salzburg, and instead chose to get in their cars and go home.

Advertisements

De Laurentiis has suggested in the past he does not want to keep Mertens on his currently salary and would only sign him to a new deal if it was at a vastly reduced rate.

Mertens was the subject of interest from Chelsea back in January, though the club failed to sign anyone after having their transfer ban reduced.

The forward is a legend in Naples, and is the club’s joint-top all-time leading goalscorer after matching Marek Hamsik’s 121 goal record this season.

Advertisements

Chelsea meanwhile are braced for a changing of the guard in the summer, with Willian, Pedro and Michy Batshauayi all reportedly set to leave Stamford Bridge.

Despite looking to be on his way also, Olivier Giroud is now expected to sign a new one-year deal, after impressing Lampard just before football was put on hold due to Covid-19.

Chelsea will be hoping to close the gap to Liverpool and Manchester City, with the gap to the league leaders standing at 34 points this season.


#NobleSports

Advertisements
Advertisements

Mertens has yet to agree new terms at Napoli as he possibly moves to Inter


The absent contract extension between Napoli and Dries Mertens reopens the path of a possible move to Inter, as Chelsea could opt to keep Olivier Giroud.

The two veterans have both been linked with a free transfer to the Nerazzurri, but Frenchman Giroud could slip for Antonio Conte due to a clause in the contract with Chelsea.

The Blues can unilaterally decide to extend his current deal with a year and pull the breaks on an operation between the World Cup winner and the Serie A giants.

The Gazzetta dello Sport has claimed the complications are les regarding the other ageing star, Mertens, who has yet to agree new terms at Napoli.

With Romelu Lukaku already in place and rumours about Jan Vertonghen arriving from Tottenham Hotspur, Mertens could possibly link up with his Belgium teammates at the Giuseppe Meazza.

Alexis Sanchez will most likely return to Manchester United this summer and Mertens has been targeted as the ideal replacement for the Chilean attacker, who has struggled because of injuries in his return to Serie A.


#NobleSports

Inter could spend €15m to bring In Mertens, Giroud & Vertonghen


In today’s print edition, Tuttosport have examined the finances that could be involved in Inter’s moves for Napoli’s Dries Mertens, Chelsea’s Olivier Giroud and Tottenham Hotspur’s Jan Vertonghen.

All three players contracts with their current employers are due to expire in the coming months thus meaning Inter could acquire all three of them on a free transfer.


Between signing bonuses and commission fees to agents and perhaps intermediaries, Inter could spend around €15 million, which is far less than the combined €50 million Inter may have had to fork out on transfer fees if all players were under contract.

Mertens has emerged as a target to bolster Inter’s attacking department, just like 2018 World Cup winner Giroud has whilst Vertonghen has seemingly been identified by Inter as the ideal replacement for centre back Diego Godin, who looks set to depart the club in the coming months after just a season with the club.


#NobleSports

Chelsea to make 2nd bid for Mertens after his backtracks on Napoli deal


Chelsea ‘could make a second bid’ for Dries Mertens after it emerged the Belgian backtracked on signing a new contract with Napoli.

The Blues reportedly made an offer for the 32-year-old forward back in January but this was turned down.


Now they have been offered encouragement to try again with reports in Italy suggesting Mertens is now reluctant to commit his future to Napoli.

Sources revealed Mertens was about to put pen to paper on a new £6.3m-a-year deal until the coronavirus pandemic stopped things.


They report there is now uncertainty about whether Mertens, who has also been linked with Inter Milan, wants to stay at Stadio San Paolo.

His contract expires this summer and so Chelsea, or whoever, could sign him for nothing.


Mertens is aware he could get superior wages, plus a large signing-on fee, if he comes to England in what would likely be the final big move of his career.

He has spent seven seasons with Napoli since arriving in an £8million move from PSV Eindhoven in 2013, playing 309 matches for the club and scoring 121 times.


Chelsea have already secured the signing of Hakim Ziyech from Ajax for £38m as Frank Lampard boosts his squad for next season


#NobleSports

Mertens Might Probably Leave Napoli This Summer


Dries Mertens ‘Increasingly Likely’ to Leave Napoli With Contract Up This summer…


Napoli striker Dries Mertens is unlikely to remain at the club beyond the end of this season, opening the door for a Premier League move.

The Belgian’s contract in Naples is up at the end of June, and even though a £6m move to Chelsea failed to materialise in January, it looks like his time in Serie A is coming to an end.

Continue reading Mertens Might Probably Leave Napoli This Summer

Everton boss, Ancelotti sets bid for Napoli’s duo.


New Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti might be preparing a raid of his former club Napoli, with the Toffees linked with star attacking duo Lorenzo Insigne and Dries Mertens.

Despite heavy investment over the summer, Everton are desperate to bolster their forward line in the coming January transfer window, and the new boss has reportedly got an eye on two of his former players as possible (if unlikely) winter additions.


Dries Mertens,Lorenzo Insigne
Ancelotti worked closely with Insigne and Mertens during his time in Naples, and according to news outlets Le10Sport and Calcio Mercato (as cited by Sport Witness), the Italian boss is very keen to reunite with his former Serie A stars.

Mertens’ future at Napoli is in doubt, as the Belgium international has failed to negotiate a new contract thus far with I Partenopei, and his current deal is due to expire at the end of the season.

The Toffees could reportedly sign Mertens for £10m – if they agree a deal before 10 January. If the Premier League side fails to get the deal over the line before that date, then they will have to negotiate an agreement with Napoli.


The 32-year-old has been a key player for Napoli in recent years, and he scored an impressive 16 goals under Ancelotti’s tutelage last season. Mertens has struggled along with the rest of his teammates this year however, and their poor showings in the league culminated in the new Everton boss being sacked by the Napoli board at the start of December.

Lorenzo Insigne
Everton’s other target, Lorenzo Insigne, is supposedly looking for a fresh challenge after spending his entire career with his boyhood club.

Le10Sport’s piece claims Ancelotti is very interested in bringing the 28-year-old to Goodison Park, as he is desperate to add some star talent to his side.


Insigne has scored only three goals this season, and the Italian international has come under heavy criticism from Napoli supporters for his poor performances, which have left the Italian club languishing in eighth place.

However, the chance of a player of Insigne’s reputation trading Napoli for a club without European football seems remote.


#NobleSport…