Tag Archives: meeting

NWC: Oshiomhole absent at APC meeting.


The All Progressives Congress (APC) National Working Committee (NWC) met, yesterday, without the suspended National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole and loyalist.

The meeting chaired by the Acting National Secretary, Victor Giadom, lasted for several hours with eight members of the NWC- National Vice Chairman, North East, Salihu Mustapha; National Vice Chairman, South West, Bankole Oluwajana; National Youth Leader, Abubakar Sadiq; National Woman Leader, Hajiya Salamatu Beiwa and the party’s acting National Auditor, Isa-Modu Chul- in attendance.


Because of the meeting, the party’s national headquarters recorded an appreciable number of visitors including APC Edo State Chairman, Anslem Ojezua.

The party’s national leadership did not brief journalists on reason for the meeting, it was, however, learnt that those who met were preparing for next week’s emergency National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting.


Meanwhile, APC Forum of State Chairmen has denied passing a vote of confidence and endorsing the continuation of the embattled national chairman.

The development comes barely a day after the group allegedly backed the former Edo governor. It would, however, appear that it was a faction of the forum headed by Ali Dalori and Ben Nwoye that had passed the vote of confidence on Monday.


In a twist of event, the chairman in a statement by its Publicity Secretary, Lawal Liman, said members never met to deliberate on issues pertaining to the suspended chairman.

He said some members of the forum had been calling to find out the veracity of the statement immediately it was issued.


Lawan dismissed the vote of confidence as a fraud saying they would, however, meet to harmonise their thought before the March 17 emergency NEC.

“l have told them that no such thing happened and that they should disregard the statement. We had agreed, in the past, that nobody should issue a statement in the name of the forum of state chairmen of the APC if the chairmen did not meet and accept the release of such statement,” Liman said.

He charged members to exercise patience, with the hope that the crisis, in the party, would soon be resolved.

“All issues would be resolved at the next NEC meeting and, hopefully, we will hold a meeting of the forum before the said NEC meeting. We will not, in any way, bring the name of the forum to disrepute by doing what will take away our credibility,” he said.


#Newsworthy…

We didn’t call for ’emergency national executive meeting’ – APC denies.


The All Progressives Congress has refuted reports that it will be convening an emergency National Executive Committee meeting to solve its ongoing intra-party leadership crisis.

The party in a statement jointly signed by Babatunde Ogala, National Legal Adviser; Lanre Issa-Onilu, National Publicity Secretary; and Waziri Bulama, National Secretary; also denied the notice issued by Acting National Secretary, Chief Victor T. Giadom, claiming that Giadom does not have the power to convene a NEC meeting.


In the fresh statement, the APC stated that the conditions for which a national executive committee meeting could be convened as provided by Article 25(B)(i) and (ii) of the APC constitution is yet to be met.

“The National Executive Committee shall meet every quarter and or at any time decided by the National Chairman or at the request made in writing by at least two-thirds of the members of the National Executive Committee provided that not less than 14 days’ notice is given for the meeting to be summoned.


“Without prejudice to Article 25(B)(i) of this constitution, the National Working Committee may summon an emergency National Executive Committee meeting at any time, provided that at least seven days’ notice of the meeting shall be given to all those entitled to attend.

“The National Working Committee, therefore, disassociates itself from the said illegal and unauthorised notice of meeting of the National Executive Committee.

“Members of the National Executive Committee and the totality of the members of our great party are, therefore, requested to ignore the said notice and/or invitation as a product of mischief that should not be given any probative value.

“The National Working Committee shall continue to protect our constitution and convene its meetings and the National Executive Committee meetings, in accordance with the provisions of the party constitution,” the statement reads.


#Newsworthy…

Jonathan meets Buhari in the presidential villa, Abuja ..


Former President Goodluck Jonathan has visited the Presidential Villa, Abuja, for a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday.

Former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, was at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Thursday afternoon and held a brief meeting with Muhammadu Buhari.


Jonathan arrived the Villa at about 1:45pm and was ushered into the President’s office where he stayed about five minutes.

He was later seen back to his vehicle, waiting at the forecourt of the President’s office by President Buhari himself.


The purpose of the visit or topic of discussion was not known as at the time of filing this report.

Thursday’s visit by the former President is the second to President Buhari in three months; he was at the Villa on October 10, 2019.


Both leaders have kept a cordial relationship since 2015, when Buhari defeated Jonathan at the presidential election.

It would also be recalled that President Buhari, condoled with Dr Jonathan when his home was attacked in Bayelsa last December, assuring of the former President’s safety.


#Newsworthy..

IPOB feud as Ijaw youths oppose Bayelsa meeting


The proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, on Tuesday, faulted the Ijaw Youth Council’s position that IPOB should not hold its planned meeting in Bayelsa State.

The IYC, Central Zone, led by Olorogun Kennedy, had, on Monday, asked members of IPOB to steer clear of the state, and looked elsewhere for their planned national meeting or attract the wrath of the IYC.


But reacting on Tuesday, a statement from the Director of Media and Publicity of the secessionist group quoted the Bayelsa State coordinator of IPOB, Igrubia Gbalam, as saying that it was either that the chairman of the IYC, Central Zone, had forgotten his origin or was acting the scripts of his, “Fulani masters.’

The statement read, “Unknown to Mr Olorogun Kennedy, whose first name points to his true origin, Bayelsa State and Ijawland is the birth place of Biafra. Mr Olorogun Kennedy is a DSS informant craving the attention of his Fulani masters by making attention-grabbing comments on the pages of newspapers to attract more financial reward from those that have rendered Niger Delta desolate.

“This is so shameful because it is obvious that those leading IYC central zone knows nothing about Ijaw people, history, struggle, survival and enemies. Yes, it is obvious they don’t know the enemies of Ijaw people because if they had known, they wouldn’t have ignored the Ijaw community, Bilabiri, burnt down by the Nigerian military to come and be threatening IPOB, who are the only voice speaking against such evil in Ijawland. Mr Olorogun is pretending he was not aware of previous and ongoing dialogue between IPOB leadership and prominent Ijaw people in the Disapora.

“The whole world knows that IPOB is the only organisation bold enough to confront the excesses of the terrorist government of Nigeria and if the IYC central zone is standing against IPOB but mute against the evil meted to Ijaw people by the oppressive Nigerian military, then it means that their loyalty is no longer towards the Ijaw people but to those who oppress us.”


#Newsworthy…

U.S trashed Iran foreign minister’s visa to attend UN meeting


Iran’s foreign minister said on Tuesday he has been informed by UN chief Antonio Guterres that Washington has denied him a visa for a trip to UN headquarters in New York.

“What we know is that the US State Secretary (Mike Pompeo), in a call to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, said: ‘We did not have time to issue a visa for Mohammad Javad Zarif and we will not issue a visa’,” Zarif said.


“The Secretary-General responded by saying that it is Iran’s right to take part in this session,” Iran’s top diplomat said, quoted by semi-official news agency ISNA.

So far there has been no official confirmation from Washington that it has rejected Zarif’s visa application.


Zarif was speaking to reporters in Tehran at a gathering to promote an Iranian peace plan for the Gulf.

His remarks came as Iran held funeral processions on Tuesday for one of its top military commanders killed in a US drone strike in Iraq.


Qasem Soleimani’s assassination has sparked a war of words between the arch-foes, with Iran vowing “severe revenge” and US President Donald Trump threatening to hit back hard for any retaliation.

Trump warned on Saturday that Washington had lined up 52 targets if Tehran attacked US personnel or assets.


On Tuesday, Zarif said the US visa decision was “a sign of the bankruptcy of the US government and Trump’s regime”, according to ISNA.

The Iranian foreign minister said he had been planning to go UN headquarters on Thursday for an open debate on “Upholding the Charter of the United Nations”.


But he added that he had also intended to “raise America’s crimes” during his visit to New York.

It is not the first time that Iranian officials have encountered problems when travelling to New York for events at UN headquarters.


In December, the United Nations General Assembly called on the United States to lift restrictions on Iranian diplomats.

Since mid-2019, Iranian diplomats and ministers have been under strict movement restrictions when they are in the United States.

Iran’s Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif

They are limited largely to the area around UN headquarters, the Iranian diplomatic mission and the ambassador’s residence.

In September, while taking part in the annual General Assembly, Zarif complained he was unable to visit the country’s UN ambassador in a US hospital.


#Newsworthy…

PMB met with security chiefs, buratai absent.

…Security chiefs brief


President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday received security briefing from the nation’s Service Chiefs in Abuja.

The President met with the top military men in the country at the Presidential Villa in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).


The services chiefs were led to the meeting by the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (rtd).

Those present include the Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin; Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar; and the Chief of Naval Staff, Ibok Ekwe Ibas.


Others are the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu; and Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Mr Yusuf Bichi, among others.

However, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, was absent but a senior officer of the Nigerian Army sat in his place.


Government officials also present were the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Boss Mustapha; and the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno.

Before the meeting started, the service chiefs exchanged pleasantries.

See photos from the meeting below:


#Newsworthy…

Presidency and other executives in ‘security meeting’


President Muhammadu Buhari is currently presiding over a security council meeting in the State House.

The council is made up of heads of security agencies in the country, including the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai; Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Ibok Ekwe-Ibas; and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Sadique.

Others are the Inspector General of Police (IG), Mohammed Adamu; Director-General of Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi; and Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Rufai.

Details later…


#Newsworthy…

Endless Updates