Tag Archives: maiduguri

Borno, TCN to restore power supply in Maiduguri.

Advertisements

Abdulaziz said that electricity supply would be restored as quickly as possible on completion of the tower erection work.

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) with the support of Borno State Government have mobilised to ensure quick restoration of electricity supply to Maiduguri and environs.

TCN’s General Manager, Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mbah disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Sunday.

Advertisements

Mbah said that electricity supply was interrupted following the damage to its high tension towers T159, T160 and T161 of 330 Kilo Bolt (KV) Damaturu-Maiduguri Transmission Line in the North East.

She said TCN had completed new foundation of Tower T159 and had equally procured all the necessary tower members and materials for the replacement of the other two damaged towers.

Advertisements

According to her, the materials are presently on ground at TCN’s Baga Road Substation in Maiduguri and work is ongoing to make them ready for installation.

She said “The Management team of TCN led by the Acting Managing Director/CEO, Mr Sule Abdulaziz, Borno state officials led by the State Commissioner for Housing and Energy, Mr Yuguda Vungas and the Managing Director of Yola Electricity Distribution Company, Mr Baba Mustapha are at the TCN Maiduguri Work Centre for an on-the-spot inspection of the equipment/materials and ongoing fabrication work of the tower parts for the replacement of the damaged towers.”

She said Abdulaziz assured that since all the necessary equipment, materials and workforce were on ground and fabrication work ongoing, the reconstruction work proper would soon commence at the sites as tower foundation had been completed.

Advertisements

Abdulaziz said that electricity supply would be restored as quickly as possible on completion of the tower erection work.

He further explained that while the damaged towers reconstruction was ongoing, TCN was also temporarily constructing a by-pass line for temporary diversion to supply power to the affected areas before the main tower structures were completed.

“First of all, I want to apologise on behalf TCN over what happened in Maiduguri and the North East as a whole, we understand the urgent need for power supply especially in this axis at this time.

” I want to assure you that the TCN is committed to doing all that is possible to make sure that the power supply is restored as quickly as possible.

Advertisements

“All the materials you see here will be installed very quickly, you can see all the materials, the conductors, composite insulators, channel irons and you can see our workforce at work already, fabricating the parts.

“Everybody is working and they have been working everyday, Saturday and Sunday inclusive. This is because we are bent on ensuring that light is restored as soon as possible in Maiduguri and environs,” he said.

Advertisements

Speaking on the transmission line in Damboa axis, Abdulaziz said the re-conducting of the Damboa-Maiduguri transmission line had been procured and work would soon begin on the project.

He said that when the Damboa-Maiduguri transmission line is completed, it would serve as a second source of power supply to Maiduguri and environs.

Earlier, the TCN boss while addressing its engineering staff working on the project, assured them of maximum support to facilitate its speedy execution and commended them for their commitment.

Advertisements

On his part, the Borno State Commissioner for Housing and Energy, Mr Yuguda Vungas, assured that government would provide the necessary support and security for the work to be accomplished on time.

He reiterated the commitment of Gov. Babagana Zulum administration to ensure that light was restored in the area and promised to lend the necessary assistance to TCN to facilitate the project.

He said ‘The efforts of the state government is to provide the necessary support and equipment for TCN to reconnect the state to the national grid for his citizens to have regular supply of electricity.

“Our own part is to ensure that security is provided for human safety and the movement of materials.

Advertisements

“We are very happy to find ourselves here today with the managing director TCN, and managing director of Yola Electricity Distribution Company.

” It is a sign of good relationship between the state government, TCN and Yola Disco. Together we will work to restore supply to our people,” he said.

Advertisements

#Newsworthy

Insurgents destroy electricity tower in Maiduguri.

Advertisements

Those operating on generators are managing to render skeletal services.

Residents of Maiduguri and environs have been thrown into lingering blackout following the destruction of one of the towers supplying electricity to the city from the national grid.

Noble Reporters Media reports that the blackout, which has lasted for one week, has grounded many businesses that are relying on power.

Some residents, who spoke to NoRM, not only condemned the action of the insurgents but lamented the continued inability of the authorities concern to restore the power.

“It’s now one week and most people don’t know why there is no electricity in Maiduguri.

Advertisements

“We need to know what caused it and efforts by the power company to address the matter.

“You can’t leave people in darkness without explanation,’’ a resident, Ibrahim Abubakar, said.

Advertisements

Also, a welder, Moses Bala, said the development has grounded his business because he solely depends on electricity from the national grid for his work.

“Because of steady supply over the months, I solely depend on power from government and now that there is no power for one week; I remain out of business.

“I can’t afford a generator as I am still young in this business,’’ Bala said.

Advertisements

He appealed to the authorities concern to expedite action to restore the electricity.

Musa Idris, Sahabi Abdulrahman, Amina Bello and Talatu Musa who also lamented on the power outage on their small businesses said they do not know the cause of the power outage.

They said that they would want something to be done urgently to ameliorate their plight.

When contacted, the Corporate Communication Manager of Yola Electricity Distribution Company (YEDC) in charge of Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Taraba states, Mr Kingsley Nkemneme said he could not comment because the problem has to do with Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

Advertisements

“The TCN is in a better position to comment on this as the problem is not about distribution but transmission,’’ Nkemneme said.

NoRM reports that this is the second time in three months that insurgents will be attacking the power transmission line to Maiduguri.

Advertisements

#Newsworthy

NYSC exempt Corp members posted to Borno from Orientation Camps

Advertisements

Nigeria’s National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has exempted corps members posted to Borno State from the annual camping exercise.

“2020 Batch A Corps members serving in Borno State are exempted from Camp resumption,” NYSC said when it announced the exemption in a tweet on Wednesday.

Advertisements

NYSC, however, did not state any reason for the exemption to corps members posted to the northeast state. But recent events in the state suggests that it could be for security reasons.

Between November and December 2020 alone, more than 50 persons have lost their lives in attacks by Boko Haram, bandits and other insurgency groups in Borno State.

About 43 rice farmers were killed by Boko Haram in Zabarmari, about 20 kilometres from Maiduguri towards end of last year.

Advertisements

Borno State governor Babagana Zulum indicted the Nigerian army and police over insecurity in the state.

The indictment was triggered by multiple attacks and kidnap of 35 people by Boko Haram after the killing of the rice farmers.

“It is very disheartening and embarrassing to note that innocent commuters are being constantly killed and kidnapped along the Maiduguri/Kano road, particularly the 132-kilometre Maiduguri/Damaturu road,” Zulum said in December 2020.

“It is also annoying to note that those atrocities are committed between Jakana and Auno villages, a distance of only 20 kilometres from the capital.

Advertisements

“Surprisingly, we have a Brigade Commander with his team in Jakana. There is also a commanding officer with his battalion in Auno.”

The governor stated that the security agencies have failed to protect the citizens.

Advertisements

#Newsworthy

Repentant Boko Haram members arrive Borno


“Repentant” Boko Haram members who surrendered to the Nigerien troops have returned to Maiduguri from Niger Republic with their wives and children.

Major General Bamidele Shafa who is the coordinator of the Federal Government Safe Corridor program, arrived at the Maiduguri airport in a military aircraft with repentant terrorists and some soldiers.

Shafa disclosed that the Nigerien government contacted the Nigerian government after the former Boko Haram members laid down their arms.


He said;

“We have just delivered 25 persons, comprising men, women, and children.

“So we have brought them home safely and handed them to the Borno State government for onward rehabilitation as part of the Operation Safe Corridor de-radicalization programme.

“We are using this opportunity to encourage those that are still in the bush to come out because the president of the Federal Republic has given them an open arm to drop their weapons and embrace peace.”

Receiving the returnees, Borno State’s Commissioner of Women Affairs, Zuwaira Gambo said the former Boko Haram members will be provided with psychosocial support, food, cloth and some form of education and skills acquisition


#Newsworthy…

Insecurities: 1000 women full maiduguri over Boko Haram attack


Women and children numbering over 1000 abandoned their homes in remote communities in Borno State for the streets of Maiduguri, the capital, over fears of more Boko Haram attacks.

Chairperson of Borno State Emergency Management Agency, Hajiya Yabawa Kolo, said the women and children are from 300 households in Kayamla, a community under Konduga Local Government Area of the state.


The people left their villages to avoid being raided by Boko Haram following repeated attacks on neighbouring villages.

The women said their husbands sent them to Maiduguri to seek refuge while they stayed back in Kayamla.

Some of the women said they were not allowed into designated camps and had to take refuge on the streets.

However, Kolo said camps had been created to accommodate the displaced victims.


#Newsworthy…

Borno: PMB sad at fresh Boko Haram attack


The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari has formally condemned the fresh attack by members of the terrorist group ‘Boko Haram’ in Borno, he then sent commiseration to the families of victims, assuring them that his administration will continually frustrate the devilish operations of Boko Haram, and bring it to an end.

Boko Haram had on Sunday night February 9th, attacked travellers along the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway in Auno town, Konduga local government area of Borno state, killing over thirty of them, abducted many others as well as destroying many properties.


In a statement released by his media aide, Garba Shehu, President Buhari condemned the attack, describing it as “murderous and cowardly”.

It read; “The commitment of this administration to protect the lives of Nigerians will not be derailed by the cowardly and indiscriminate violence against innocent people by Boko Haram terrorists,’’ the statement quotes the president as saying

The President Buhari, who also condoled with the government of the state, warns “that terrorists are clearly on a back foot and their days are numbered’’.

It continued; “As our armed forces continue to receive more hardware and intelligence to counter our current security challenges, the remnants of Boko Haram will ultimately be crushed. The peculiar challenges of asymmetric warfare notwithstanding, our armed forces are ever determined to defeat these enemies of humanity,’’ President Buhari said


#Newsworthy…

Just in – 30 dead in borno bridge bomb


No fewer than 30 people were reportedly killed in Gamboru, Borno state on Monday January 6th after an improvised explosive device detonated on the bridge.

According to Reuters, the bomb detonated at about 5 p.m. on the crowded bridge in the market town of Gamboru that leads into neighbouring Cameroon. Witnesses in the market town said more than 35 persons were injured and rushed to the local hospital following the attack.


“It is an unfortunate day for us to witness this frustrating and devastating incident in our community. I just heard a loud sound of explosions, before I realized I saw many of our friends and colleagues were killed,” an eyewitness told Reuters

Boko Haram nor the regional offshoot of Islamic State, known as ISWAP, have taken responsibility for the attack.


#Newsworthy…

Light in: ISWAP Planning To Abduct Travellers


The Islamic State in West Africa is planning fresh abductions of Nigerian citizens in Borno State, NobleReporters learnt.

Information culled by NobleReporters shows that insurgents, who beheaded 11 Christians on Christmas eve are planning major abductions in Benishiek, Ngala, Auno, Mainok, Dikwa-monguno and Biu.

The fresh plans follows a directive by #ISIS caliph al-Hashimi, instructing the intensification of attacks especially of Christians in the region.


The terrorist are currently occupying farms and villages along Biu Highway in preparation for further attacks. ISWAP on Christmas eve attacked Biu and killed seven Nigerian soldiers.

It also carted away sophisticated military equipment.

The United Nations estimates that the decade-long armed uprising in North-East Nigeria has killed 36,000 people and displaced around two million.

Soldiers on the frontline in Borno and Yobe states have repeatedly called for sophisticated weapons and timely intel to prevent casualty when ambushed by ISWAP terrorists.


#Newsworthy…

Update: 3 Soldiers Injured In Yobe Explosion


Three soldiers attached to Sector 2 Command of the Operation Lafiya Dole in Yobe State were on Monday evacuated to hospital following the explosion of the Armoured Fighting Vehicle they were returning to base in.

This was revealed by spokesperson for the operational unit, Captain Njoka Irabor.

He said the AFV was completely burnt down due to a sudden mechanical malfunction, damaging all the ammunition on board.


Irabor said, “There was an uneasy calm in Damaturu metropolis as a result of the sound of explosions heard at about 11:30 am on Monday December 30, 2019.

“The fire incident occurred when an Armoured Fighting Vehicle returning to base from a routine standby duty, suddenly developed an electrical malfunction. This led to a fire outbreak on the AFV and subsequent explosions of the ammunition on board.

“The fire incident happened along Damaturu-Maiduguri Road. The AFV was completely burnt down, while troops in the vehicle were able to extricate themselves during the fire outbreak.

“However, three soldiers sustained injuries and have since been moved to our medical facility for prompt medical attention.”


#Newsworthy…

Borno: 6 killed, 3 injured in Boko Haram attack.

…on Christmas eve

No fewer than six persons have been killed and three others injured on Christmas Eve attack on Borno community by Boko Haram.

Some insurgents attacked Kwaaagilim village in Chibok Local Government in the southern part of Borno on Tuesday, the eve of Christmas.

Sources said Boko Haram struck in the town at about 6 pm while most residents were preparing for the Christmas Eve church services.

Borno State governor, Babagsna Zulum confirmed the attack during his visit to Uba in Askira-Uba Local Government near Chibok.

“It is unfortunate that yesterday, Borko Haram insurgents attacked Kearagilim of Chibok local government where six people were killed, three injured,” Zulum disclosed while addressing some All Progressives Congress (APC) members at Uba.

The state Commissioner for Poverty Alleviation, Nuhu Clark, who hails from the area, also said two females were abducted by the terrorists.

He said all the three injured persons were taken to a public hospital near the area, where they were responding to treatment.

#Newsworthy…