It was further disclosed that the buildings occupied by the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) and the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) were attacked by the hoodlums.
Lagos State residents defied Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s curfew order, continued to destroy more federal and state government structures and assets in the state.
Reports reaching Noble Reporters Media at this time confirmed that some angry mob on Wednesday, October 21 stormed the office of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, in Ojodu, Berger and set it ablaze.
Noble Reporters Media learnt that some vehicles owned by the government parastatals and offices were also set on fire by the angry thugs.
The developments are coming after the massacre of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night, Noble Reporters Media reports.
A fire at the office of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency in Oshodi on Friday razed 10 cars and a trailer.
The fire started at a section of the agency’s premises where impounded vehicles were kept but its cause could not be ascertained by witnesses.
After emergency service officials battled and put out the fire, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) revealed that no life was lost as a result of the fire.
The fire started at a section of the traffic management agency’s premises where impounded vehicles are kept.
“A total number of ten cars and one trailer were razed by the inferno,” the LASEMA Director-General, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said in a statement.
“No casualties were recorded at the scene as the LRT Fire Unit and LASG Fire Service were all responders at the scene who successfully worked together to put out the fire”.
A short clip shared on Twitter by the agency gave an insight into the effort made by emergency workers to put out the fire and a peek into the damage it did.
LASTMA, which is responsible for traffic management in Lagos, had not put out any official reaction on its platforms as of the time of filing this report and it remains unclear how the agencies will deal with the damage done and if all the vehicles were impounded.
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has appealed to residents to be patient and bear with the discomfort that will be experienced from the six-month partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge which begins on Friday (tomorrow).
Governor Sanwo-Olu assured Nigerians that the pains will be minimal, noting that over 650 officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA ) will be deployed on the road to control traffic during this period.
He stated this on Thursday while receiving the new Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Lagos, Commodore Olusegun Ogungbemide, who paid a courtesy visit at the State House in Marina.
The FRSC boss was accompanied on the visit to the Governor by the Lagos Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Mr Adeyinka Ayinla.
The Governor said the closure of the 11.8km bridge – the busiest in the State – was inevitable, following physical deterioration observed on the structure after an integrity test conducted by the Federal Government.
The closure of the bridge, Sanwo-Olu said, will bring about pain, but the development was necessary to prevent a disaster that may result from the total collapse of the infrastructure.
He promised that men of LASTMA would constantly be on the road with their Federal counterparts to ensure seamless movement of vehicles during the period.
Sanwo-Olu said the State Government had carried out improvement work on alternative routes mapped out for diversions while observing that vehicular movements on the Third Mainland Bridge would be disrupted by 25 per cent of its regular traffic.
He said: “The partial closure of Third Mainland Bridge is not something that everybody should worry about, because this is an exercise that had been done before.
“For emphasis, the traffic disruption is only about 25 percent of the regular traffic on the bridge. The 75 percent of vehicles that normally ply the route will still have access to move on the bridge during the period of repair.
“We have furnished and improved the design of the alternative routes, and we are still working on other arterial routes so that our people can have seamless journey times to and from their places of work.
“So, there is nothing commuters should worry about in this period. We will ensure the repair work on the Third Mainland Bridge does not overburden them. We will be deploying over 650 LASTMA officers on the road to control the traffic.”
In the period of closure, the Governor said a lane of the bridge would be opened to traffic for vehicles driving inward Lagos Island in the morning, while another lane would be shut.
The reverse would be done for vehicle driving inward Mainland in the afternoon, while others will be shut.
To further assuage the discomfort that may be experienced by commuters and ease the roads of gridlock, Sanwo-Olu said the State had strengthened the State-owned Lagos Ferry Service (LAGFERRY) by doubling its capacity for a mass movement, thereby giving the residents an alternative through water transportation.
He said: “We are also urging the commuters to explore the option of waterways in their journey.
“The jetty built in Ilaje area of Bariga has been activated and we are deploying more speedboats to raise the capacity of our ferry service. This is to ensure that many people are not on the road at the same time.”
The Governor said his administration remained committed to improving transportation in the State, noting that delivering efficiently run intermodal transportation system was an important component of his Government’s deliverables.
Sanwo-Olu welcomed the FRSC Sector Commander to Lagos, assuring him of the State Government’s readiness to work with the federal safety agency.
Responding, Ogungbemide said the FRSC played prominent roles in the smooth running of Lagos security architecture, pleading with the Governor to integrate the agency into the State’s Security Council.
The FRSC boss assured Lagos residents of his readiness to engage activities that would give road users a pleasant experience.
He said 250 FRSC operatives would be deployed to work with LASTMA to maintain traffic on Third Mainland Bridge and alternative routes.
An official of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) was reported to have committed suicide after stabbing his lover.
Homicide detectives of the Lagos State Police Command have commenced an investigation into an alleged attempted murder and suicide by a Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) personnel, Emmanuel Mekuri, 47.
Mekuri, a resident of Araromi area of Morogbo allegedly stabbed himself to death after stabbing his live-in lover, Patricia Ogunshola, 37, on the right thigh.
NRM gathered that the incident occurred around 1 am in front of Ogunshola’s 13-year-old daughter.
Media known to Noble Reporters Media reports that this incident is the second spousal homicide in two weeks on grounds of alleged infidelity.
Trouble was said to have started between the couple after Ogunshola accused her partner of infidelity.
The duo was said to have had an argument that degenerated into physical fighting around past midnight.
Although it was unclear which of them introduced a knife in the fight, NobleReporters gathered that Mekuri stabbed the woman on her thigh and aimed for her head but she fled the room.
Mekuri allegedly stabbed himself on the stomach such that his intestines came out and he died on the spot.
The teenager, said to be the man’s stepdaughter, was said to have raised alarm and attracted neighbors’ attention who called in the police.
Detectives were deployed to the scene immediately and a knife covered in blood was found.
The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) says residents of Lagos, especially motorists, defying COVID-19 lockdown order are on a suicidal mission.
The General Manager of LASTMA, Mr Olajide Oduyoye, made this assertion in an interview on Saturday in Lagos.
“It is very difficult to understand how we are trying to prevent people from killing themselves by violating the stay-at-home order and some still do not understand the implications for them and their loved ones,” Oduyoye said.
The LASMA boss advised officers on the road to be very careful and safety conscious while carrying out their constitutional duty of enforcing traffic laws.
According to him, this has become necessary since LASTMA officers are not wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) on the road.
He urged the officers to work with the consciousness that members of the public were watching and monitoring them.
“So, why we are doing the things we are doing, let us remember that people are watching, people are looking, people are recording and they are reporting.
“So, let us be extremely careful as we go ahead to make sure that residents of Lagos do not endanger themselves on the road.
“LASTMA officers should not also endanger themselves,” he added.
On the Ramadan, Oduyoye urged the Muslims among the officers to pray for the authority, the state and the country during the period.
“I will like to wish our Muslim brothers and sisters in LASTMA, Ramadan Kareem. It is an opportunity to reflect on our lives and the love we have for Allah and to pray fervently for this nation.
“Above all, we should pray for ourselves, our families and pray that the pandemic that is going on will not reach our doorsteps and anyone that we know and that we love.
“May Allah accepts our sacrifice of fasting, our prayers and is there for all of us,” Oduyoye said.
The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority has accused commercial motorcycle (Okada) and tricycle (Keke) operators of being responsible for the chaos and disruption witnessed on roads in the state.
The LASTMA’s General Manager, Mr Olajide Oduyoye, made this known in an interview in Lagos on Saturday.
Oduyoye said there would not be a fight or argument with any operator who willingly complied with the law.
He said that officers of the authority were on the ground for the enforcement of the extant law on Okada and Keke operations from today (February 1).
“The compliance is pretty good for the first day. We hope to see that a lot will comply more and more. Operators must keep doing what the law says.
“There is no problem; once there is compliance, there is no need for any enforcement. There is no need for any fight or any incident on the road.
“It is just for the people to just comply and that is it,” Oduyoye said.
The LASTMA boss said the enforcement was to control the unrestrained behaviour and recklessness of the operators in the state which contributed to the traffic bottlenecks in the state.
The traffic manager explained that the operations of tricycle and motorcycle riders had also been creating traffic bottlenecks and chaos in the state and accused them of regularly riding against traffic.
“The difficulty we always have is this Keke and Okada riding against traffic and causing a lot of traffic chaos.
“When a minor accident happens with Keke scratching a vehicle and there is an argument, it disrupts the traffic flow.
“That made our jobs a lot more difficult. So, now that they are going to be off the major highways, our work will be much easier.
“The motorists creating traffic chaos will not have Keke or Okada to blame again.
“LASTMA officers are up to the task. We are going to do our job as diligently as we are supposed to,’’ Oduyoye said.
According to him, we will operate where we are supposed to operate and work to make sure that traffic is flowing as much as possible.
“We expect that since so many junctions and corners will be free of Keke and Okada parks and loitering; when enforcement comes up, there will be better traffic flow in Lagos State from today,” Oduyoye said.
N.Rs reports that the Lagos State Government on Monday announced that it would commence enforcement of the extant Transport Sector Reform Law 2018 which banned the operation of motorcycles (Okada) and tricycles (Keke) in some Local Government Areas (LGAs) and Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) with effect from February 1.
They include Apapa LGA, Apapa Iganmu LCDA, Lagos Mainland LG, Yaba LCDA, Surulere LGA, Itire-Ikate and Coker-Aguda LCDAs and Ikeja LGA,
Others are Onigbongbo and Ojodu LCDAs, Eti-Osa LGA, Ikoyi-Obalende and Iru/Victoria Island LCDAs, Lagos Island LGA and Lagos Island East LCDA.
The state government also listed highways, bridges and roads where the law also banned motorcycles and tricycles from operating in the state.
The Lagos state government today Tuesday December 3rd, arraigned before the Magistrate Court in Yaba, two suspects alleged to have killed a Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) officer, Ola Oyeshina, in Apapa on Saturday November 30th.
The suspects, Abdullahi Akere, 31, and Nurudeen Ogungbe, 41, were arraigned on a two-count charge of attack and murder of a law enforcement officer.
The charge sheet read: “That abdullahi Akere, Nurudeen Ogungbe and others now, at large, on 29th day of November, 2019, at about 1800hrs at Ijora-Badia, Lagos State in the Lagos Magistrate District, did conspire among yourself to commit felony to wit: murder; an offence punishable under section 233 of the criminal law of Lagos State.
“That Abdullahi Akere, Nurudeen Ogungbe and others now at large, on the same date, time and place in the aforementioned magistrate district, did kill one Ola Oyeshina, age – 40 years, by hitting him with stone on his head and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 222 and punishable under section 223 of the criminal law of Lagos State.”
The Prosecutor, DSP Adegoke, read the charge to the two accused. They pleaded not guilty.
The presiding magistrate, Mrs. Ayeye ordered the remand of both suspects in custody as she adjourned the matter till 28th of January, 2020.
The state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday December 2nd, paid a condolence visit to the family of the slain LASTMA officer where he vowed to ensure the killers of the slain LASTMA official must be brought to book.
“In the last 48 hours, we have had heavy brutality on men of LASTMA who were doing their work. We have had people whose legs were amputated in the last 48 hours while on the assignment that was given to them to bring about enforcement of our laws and order.
“I think this is the level at which we need to make this very stern warning that we will not stop at ensuring that we implement and enforce our laws, not minding which force is involved” he said
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Monday, December 2nd vowed to prosecute the killers of an officer of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, Ola Ganiyu Oyeshina.
The Governor sent the warning at the residence of the late Oyeshina, who died last Saturday after an attack on him by two trailer drivers in Sifax-Iganmu area of Apapa. The late Oyeshina, 34, hailed from Osun State. He was said to be an orphan.
Sanwo-Olu, who led members of the State Executive Council to commiserate with the family of Oyeshina, was angry at the killing and warned that government would not condone any form of disobedience to the laws of the State. The Governor, who expressed his displeasure over the gruesome killing, describing the incident as unfortunate and a wake-up call to all Lagosians.
He said the Government would “thoroughly prosecute” the arrested culprits to send a clear signal to those who have penchant for attacking law enforcement agents in the line of duty. He wondered why some members of the public would take pride in brutalising those working to make the society better and safe. He vowed to make Lagos inhabitable for those inclined to disobey the State’s traffic laws.
The governor said: “In the last 48 hours, we’ve had heavy brutality on men of LASTMA who were doing their work. We’ve had people whose legs have been amputated in the last 48 hours whilst on the assignment that was given to them to bring about enforcement of our laws and orders.
“I think this is the level at which we need to make this very stern warning that we will not stop at ensuring that we implement and enforce our laws not minding which force is involved. Lagos will not condone people that will not obey our laws.”
“We cannot be condoning reckless killing and sending our young men to early grave. This government, certainly will not stand for that. We are using this opportunity to tell people that Lagos wants to remain secured and safe for all of us.”
Members of the State Executive Council, including the Deputy Governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, were part of the delegation that visited Oyeshina family house in Surulere.