Tag Archives: jos

OPSH arrest fake soldiers, others in Jos.

Advertisements

Okonkwo called on residents of the state to provide useful and timely information to security agencies when they suspect criminal movements of persons in their vicinity.

The Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has arrested Mahmud Mohmmed and Nuhu Ochofo, for impersonating as a soldier and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), respectively in Jos.

Advertisements

Maj.-Gen. Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, the Commander of the task force, paraded the suspects on Friday in Jos.

According to him, the suspects, who use their fake identity to commit crimes in the state, were jointly arrested around Rayfield community of Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau.

Advertisements

Okonkwo said the fake soldier was arrested wearing full military uniform, while the other was caught with fake identity card of the NSCDC.

The Commander also paraded 18 other suspected criminals who were arrested for armed robbery, gun running and local militia group linked to recent attacks in some parts of the state.

He explained that the suspects were arrested at Bida-Bidi, Agwan Rimi, Zololo junction, Rayfield and Dung communities in Jos North and Jos South Local Government Areas of the state.

Advertisements

He said the arrests were part of the mandate of the going Operation Accord II, aimed at curbing all forms of criminalities in the North Central region and other parts of the country.

“This series of arrests are in line with the directive to operation accord II which is meant to deny criminals freedom of action as well as clear criminal and militia hideouts.

“Some of these suspects are gun runners, armed robbers, members of militia groups and some were arrested over impersonation.

“This to ensure the safety of lives and property of citizens and let me assure the law-abiding Plateau citizens that we will continue to work towards their safety,” he said.

Advertisements

Okonkwo called on residents of the state to provide useful and timely information to security agencies when they suspect criminal movements of persons in their vicinity.

Noble Reporters Media reports that the suspects were arrested with locally-made pistols and Ak-47 rifle.

Advertisements

#Newsworthy

OPSH kill 2 armed robbers in Jos

Advertisements

The personnel of the Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), on Thursday killed two suspected armed robbers in Rock Haven Community of Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau

Maj.-Gen Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, the Commander of the task force, confirmed the incident to Media in Jos. According to the commander, the two suspects belonged to a notorious gang of armed robbers who had terrorised Jos metropolis and environs “for quite sometime”.

“This afternoon, our troops killed two notorious armed robbers who have been terrorising Jos metropolis.

“Following a tip off, the troops swiftly mobilised to the scene at Rock Haven and chased the robbers who were attempting to flee on motorbikes.

Advertisements

“The troops engaged the suspects in a gun duel and forced them to flee in various directions.

“During the encounter, two of the suspected criminals were neutralised by the troops,” he said.

The STF boss said that two locally fabricated pistols were recovered from the scene of the incident. He said that the corpses of the deceased had been evacuated by the Police while normalcy had since returned to the affected area.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements

Plateau not safe – Barr. Gyang ..


Deputy Chairman Senate Committee on Defence and Senator representing Plateau North, Barrister Istifanus Gyang, has said the people of Plateau State are no longer safe anywhere in the country.

He added that the people are not safe in the North East and even in their ancestral homes.


Senator Gyang in a press statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media and Protocol, Musa Ashoms, condemned the gruesome killing of 13 people in Kwattas and Ruboi villages in Bokkos Local Government Area of the state.

He said : “The successive attacks and killing of 13 natives of Kwattas and Ruboi villages in Bokkos LGA, Plateau State in successive attacks of Sunday night 26 and Monday morning 27 January by bandits is another sad commentary that is negativing all efforts at peace building in the state.


“The renewed escalation of deadly attacks on host communities raises questions on the state of security in the state. Only last week, Kombun village in Mangu LGA was attacked and now, it is Kwattas and Ruboi villages in neighboring Bokkos LGA.

“Plateau citizens are now in double jeopardy. Away from home they are not safe, at home in their ancestral neighborhoods they are not safe! What a tragedy,” Senator Gyang laments.

Deputy Chairman Senate Committee on Defence and Senator representing Plateau North, Barrister Istifanus Gyang


The lawmaker notes with concern how the renewed attacks are coming on the heels of the abduction and killing of Plateau citizens by Boko Haram.

While condemning the Kwattas and Ruboi attacks in strong terms, Senator Gyang urged Nigeria’s security agencies to live up to their constitutional responsibilities of securing citizens and to deal decisively with bandits bent on displacing and vacating Plateau citizens and host communities from their ancestral homes.


#Newsworthy…

Lassa Fever: 5 recorded cases in Jos


The Plateau Commissioner of Health, Dr. Nimkong Ndam, yesterday confirmed five cases of Lassa fever in the state.

Ndam told newsmen in Jos that the patients suffering from the ailment had been admitted in two hospitals in the state, adding that three of them were undergoing treatment; one just completed treatment, while the fifth one had been discharged.


He said Lassa fever was not new in the state because the area had experienced the disease before. “However, the health personnel are on the ground to handle the situation and they have the required protective kits to wear while treating such cases.

“We are in contact with the hospitals in the state to address such cases promptly and to curtail the spread of the disease. We also have the protective kits required of health workers to wear when treating such cases,” he said.


#Newsworthy…

COCIN president – We will ensure properties of IDPs in plateau recovered.


The President, Church of Christ in Nations (COCIN), Rev Dr Dachollom Datiri, has assured Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Gashish District of Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State of the church’s support to enable them reclaim their stolen lands.

He urged the federal and state governments to provide adequate security for safe return of the IDPs in to their homes.


Rev Datiri stated this during the official flag-off and distribution of relief materials, comprising of roofing zincs, nails, cements and fertilizers in collaboration with the Hungarian Government for IDPs who were displaced in June 2018 in Gashish District of Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area.

“We will do everything possible to assist you to return to your homes. You must not abandon your villages for foreigners who are bent on taking over your land forcefully,” he said.


“I urged government at all levels to provide security in all affected communities in Plateau, particularly villages that were destroyed in June 2018 to enable the people return. It is the responsibility of government to protect lives and property of the citizens.

“You must take advantage of the relief materials provided to you by the Hungarian Government in collaboration with COCIN Church to go and start rebuilding your burnt houses. You must not abandon your villages to strangers who fight to forcefully take over your land.


“These materials are provided by the Hungarian Government for people who were affected by the crisis in Gashish District of Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area in June 2018, and people of Goza in Borno State for proper relocation and rehabilitation.”

He noted that the church was demoralised with the crisis that rocked Gashish in June 2018 when women, children and the aged were seen languishing in Internally Displaced Persons camps across the state.


“You have suffered and stayed homeless, living in the cold with children after the crisis, but hope came our way with the intervention of God. We made contact with the Hungarian Government, and today they have provided us with building materials to commence the rebuilding of our homes.”

COCIN Director of Health Dr Nantok Dami said the materials were provided by the Hungarian Government to assist the persecuted church in Plateau and Borno states.

IDPs / Internally Displaced Persons


Dr Dami said the Hungarian Government presented 2,700 bags of cement, 1,710 bags of fertilizer, 1,900 bundles of zinks and 1,425 packets of zink nails for affected people in Barkin-Ladi LGA in Plateau and Goza community in Borno State.

He explained that for Plateau, the items were shipped between the affected persons in Ropp and Gashish in Plateau, and each household went home with 3 bundles of zincs, 3 bags of fertilizer, four bags of cement, two packets of zinc nails to commence the reconstruction of their burnt houses.


#Newsworthy…

Now – Plateau Government Resettled Internally Displaced Person.

The Plateau State Government has resettled Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) resident at the Hall of Geosciences in Anguldi, Jos, back to their home communities. They had been until given December 31 to vacate to their respective communities in Barkin-Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas of the state.

Secretary to the Government of Plateau State, Prof Danladi Atu, who is the head of a high-powered government committee on the resettlement of the IDPs in the state, disclosed this in Jos, adding that the resettlement and rehabilitation would be carried out in three phases.

He said the state government will ensure that all IDPs who have indicated interest to go back to their various home communities in the state will be relocated.

“We have out in place machinery to resettle IDPs on the state,” he said. “The first phase would be security provisioning, which would be done by a combined team of the Nigerian Police, Operation Safe Have (OPSH), Operation Rainbow, Neighborhood Watch, Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) and other security outfits to create the enabling environment for the second phase: the reconstruction of burnt down houses and economic empowerment.”

Prof Atu explained that the third phase was the provision of basic social amenities such as feeder roads, pipe borne water, reconstruction of schools and healthcare facilities, as well as the reintegration of communities affected by the crises of the recent past.

“I am calling on all stakeholders, particularly Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs), corporate individuals and other [public] spirited individuals to join hands with the state government in ensuring that the IDPs are resettled within a short period of time.

“We commend the Plateau State Governor, Rt Hon Simon Lalong for his forthrightness at peace building and employing inclusive governance, which has paved the way for the return of peace in the state, especially to troubled spots.”

Prof Atu performed the symbolic presentation of assorted food items, building materials such as cement, bundles of corrugated zinc, wood, nails and other agricultural implements like water pumping machine, etc, to the returnees, stressing that government took the decision to provide them with the items in order to allow them reconstruct their homes to suit their needs.

The chairmen of Barkin Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas, Hon Ezekiel Mandyau and Hon Mafeng Gwalson both expressed delight over the development, describing it as timely.

According to them, the people had stayed away from their homes and sources of livelihood for a period between one and seven years.

They urged both the state and federal governments to do more to assuage the plight of the IDPs, whom they lamented had lost love ones, especially bread winners and even sources of livelihood, to get back on their feet

Hon Dachollom Jambol, speaking on behalf of the returnees at Riyom LGA, called on the state government to ensure that adequate security was provided for them, stressing that most of the returnees have no homes to go back.

Mrs Abigail Chung and Mr Moses Rwang, both returnees, said they were returning back to their communities to rebuild their lives, having been displaced for more than three and four years, respectively.

The Da Gwom Rwei of Riyom District, Da Sam Jok, on his part, expressed satisfaction with the relocation, saying that the people who were once productive and industrious can now go back to their vocations and trades.

Da Jok promised to continue to work closely with their Fulani counterparts in the locality to curb crime and criminality, while ensuring that the factors which led to the violence of the past are addressed collectively.

#Newsworthy…

6 people died in jos mining collapse.

Six persons died as a mining pit collapsed on Tuesday at Zawan Community in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau.

Mr Gwottson Fom, Member representing Jos South Constituency in the State House of Assembly confirmed the incident to the media on Wednesday.

Fom said that the ages of the victims ranged from 20 to 27, describing the incident as “sad and unfortunate”.

NobleReporters learnt that many others sustained injury in the incident.

The lawmaker noted that the victims died engaging in illegal activity.

“We know that these young persons died carrying out an illegal activity but it is obvious unemployment led them into doing it.

“People go out of their way to do things considered illegal just to fend for themselves and their families.

“This is not time to apportion blames but it is sad and unfortunate that a community will lose six youths in a day,’’ he said.

Fom called on illegal miners to desist from the act and engage in other acceptable ventures.

“If people must engage in mining activities, they should do it the right way. They must ensure they are licensed to do it,’’ he advised.

Earlier, Mr Emmanuel Gyang, an eye witness and Youth Leader in the community told media that the incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon.

Gyang described the incident as devastating, saying that it was the first of such incident in the community.

According to him, over 50 persons were inside the mining pit when it collapsed on them, while others were rescued with various degrees of injuries.

“This is the first time we are experiencing such ugly incident in this community

“It is a devastating situation; losing six youths in one day is really sad and a monumental loss,’’ he said.

Gyang said that the corpses had been buried, while the injured were currently receiving treatment at Our Lady of Apostles Hospital, Zawan.

#Newsworthy…

Court of Appeals Okays Wike’s Governorship re-election.

…Governor appoints 15 special advisers

Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has upheld the re-election of Governor Nyesom Wike in the March 9, 2019, governorship poll.

The court also struck out the application filed by Action Democratic Party (ADP) candidate, Victor Fengesi, for lack of merit.

Fingesi had approached the Court of Appeal after the election tribunal on October 5, 2019 dismissed his petition challenging the re-election of Wike, People’s Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate during the election.

The five-member appeal panel, in a unanimous decision delivered by Justice H. N. Ogunwimiji, yesterday, also said the appeal was incompetent.

Ogunwimiji declared the ADP governorship candidate failed to prove that the election was marred by irregularities.

She said Fingesi could not produce evidence that would invalidate Wike’s election.

The Court of Appeal further stated that anyone who asserts, must lead relevant evidence to prove such allegations.

Also, the court declared the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has the power to take action on elections when emergencies arise.

The Appeal Court stated that INEC derived such powers from Section 26 (1) of the Electoral Act.

It held that the petitioner lacked the locus standi to file the petition as earlier ruled by the state governorship election tribunal.

Justices T. N. Ababua, U. Omyenenn, H. A. Barka and I. B. Idiris agreed with the lead judgment.

INEC counsel, Garba Tetengi (SAN), said the appeal was struck out for incompetence.

The governor counsel, Dike Udenna, said the tribunal came to the conclusion that the tribunal was right to uphold Wike election.

Meanwhile, Wike has approved the appointment of 15 special advisers.

They are Sunny Wokekoro, Alabo George Kerley, Okiri Aribitonye, Erastus Awortu, Sylvester Mgbor, Victor Ekaro, Innocent Wali, George Ariolu, Deima Iyalla and Emma Utchay.

Others are Nkem Nwaribe, Harvey Ideozu, Andy Nwanjoku, Austin Sor and Otonye Briggs.

Special Assistant to the governor on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu, in a statement said the appointees will be sworn in at the Executive Council Chambers of Government House, Port Harcourt, tomorrow.

#Newsworthy…

My Ex Class Mate, Your Daughter Should Have Contested Against Me And Not You – Lalong Mocks Useni.

Governor Simon Lalong has taken a swipe at the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Governorship candidate, Lt. General Jeremiah Useni who lost out at the tribunal and the appeal court after challenging his victory at the 2019 Governorship election in Plateau state.

Lalong who recalled praying for his victory at the poll which according to him was the wish of the people of the state, stated the 76-year-old PDP Governorship candidate should have allowed his daughter who was his classmate contest against him.

He also averred that the validation of his reelection by the appellate court on Friday November 29, is “very sweet”.

“As far as I am concerned, the main election was more important for me. I did the election, I did a run off, we went to the tribunal the first time, we went again for the second time. Well I don’t know whether he is going for the third time,” he said.

“One thing I am very sure and with the confidence I have in Plateau people I know that this victory they are very happy about it. They have prayed about it and the victory is very sweet.

“I will say it again here, his (Useni) daughter was my classmate, I have told him several times, his first daughter was my classmate. So at this stage I would have been expecting his daughter to contest for governor and not him.

“His daughter was my classmate, we went to school together and so why should we be fighting? Fighting him is like fighting a father, it’s unfortunate but for me, I say my focus is Plateau state. We have done that in the first election, he was defeated, he said no, they will go back for a re-run, I said let’s go back for rerun.

“We went back for rerun I defeated him, he said no he was going for the tribunal. We went to the first tribunal, he said he is a general he doesn’t fight and retire, he will go to the Supreme Court. That I think is to make me lose focus but I have not lost any focus in Plateau State. As he is moving, I am becoming more determined because just before the judgment I think he will say go to Plateau state.”

Retired General Jeremiah Timbut Useni was responsible for the administration of Federal Capital Territory Abuja under the military junta of Sani Abacha. He was also the military governor of the old Bendel State from 1984 to 1985 and has also been a minister of transport.

#Newsworthy…