Tag Archives: ISWAP

News+: Nigerian Nurse Escapes From ISWAP Captivity.

Advertisements

A Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) set up to rid the Lake Chad region of terrorists on Wednesday said it had helped to facilitate the return of a Nigerian nurse from the grip of the ISWAP, a terrorist organisation.

The MNJTF comprises units of military personnel from Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria.

In a statement signed from Chad, an MNJTF spokesman, Colonel Muhammad Dole, said the nurse had been held in captivity since the beginning of 2020.

FILE: A screengrab from the Air Force video shows the scene of the airstrikes on Boko Haram Logistics Base in Borno State. Credit: Defence Headquarters.

During an air-bomb raid of an ISWAP stronghold in the Lake Chad, the nurse ran for dear life and escaped to Niger Republic, where he was handed over to the MNJTF.

“After bombs and rockets from the aircrafts landed and everywhere exploded in flames, both terrorists and hostages ran for dear life,” the nurse said, as quoted by the MNJTF. “I had to take my chance. I am grateful to God that I was able to escape.”

The nurse was medically examined before he was finally handed over to Nigerian authorities, the MNJTF said.

Advertisements

READ THE MNJTF’s FULL STATEMENT BELOW:

MNJTF FACILITATES RETURN OF NURSE ABDUCTED BY ISWAP

In consonance with the mandate of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) which includes to “Facilitate within the limits of it’s capabilities, humanitarian operations and the delivery of assistance to the affected populations”, the Task Force has facilitated the return of a Nigerian Nurse (name and organization withheld) who was abducted by ISWAP and held in captivity since the beginning of 2020.

  1. The nurse who was incarcerated in one of ISWAP’s strong holds in the Lake Chad bolted to safety and freedom, in the aftermath of a joint air interdiction conducted by the MNJTF and national partners. According to him, “after bombs and rockets from the aircrafts landed and everywhere exploded in flames, both terrorists and hostages ran for dear life. I had to take my chance. I am grateful to God that I was able to escape”. The nurse then made his way to a village in Niger Republic and was promptly handed over to security agents in Sector 4 of the MNJTF.
  2. The airlift and hand- over of the nurse to Nigerian authorities was preceded by medical examination conducted to determine the state of health of the victim after spending 8 months in the horrific and squalid conditions which he had to endure during the period of his captivity in ISWAP enclave.
  3. The MNJTF wishes to reassure populations in the Lake Chad Basin of it’s determination to provide security and facilitate development efforts being spearheaded by the respective national governments and international development partners.
  4. Please, disseminate this information to the general public.

Signed
Colonel Muhammad Dole
Chief of Military Public Information
HQ MNJTF Ndjamena Chad
26 August 2020


#Newsworthy…

Many fighters killed in NAF airstrikes – ISWAP camp destroyed.

Advertisements

A camp of Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters in Borno State has been destroyed, the military has said.

The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, confirmed this in a statement on Friday.

He noted that the terrorists’ camp, located at Tongule in the Lake Chad area of Northern Borno, was knocked out by the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole.

Enenche added that the airstrikes were conducted on Wednesday following credible Human Intelligence (HUMINT) reports indicating terrorists’ activities in the village.

A photo grab of a video released by the Nigerian Air Force shows the ‘first bomb drop’ during the air strikes conducted in the northern part of Borno State on August 12, 2020. (Noble Reporters Media //)

He revealed that the operation, which was in continuation of the air offensive against terrorist elements in the North East, resulted in the death of scores of the ISWAP fighters at the camp.

Advertisements

“Accordingly, following confirmatory Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions, which showed the presence of a sizable number of the ISWAP elements at designated locations in the settlement, the Air Task Force dispatched a force package of Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets to attack the location.

“The NAF jets took turns in engaging the location scoring devastating hits on the designated targets leading to the destruction of the structures, as well as the neutralisation of several ISWAP fighters,” the statement said.

On his part, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, commended the Air Task Force for their dedication and professionalism.

He also urged them to intensify the air offensive against the terrorists and all other criminal elements in the country.


#Newsworthy…

Boko Haram insurgents killed, facilities destroyed in sambisa forest amid military airstrikes. [Nigeria]


The Nigerian Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram terrorists in the Sambisa Forest of Borno have been set in disarray, following massive airstrikes conducted by the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) on Friday.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche disclosed this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.

Enenche said the operation was executed based on credible intelligence reports as well as series of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions.

He added that the reports revealed that the terrorists were importing additional fighters as well as increasing their logistics stocks preparatory to launching attacks on troops’ locations and surrounding civilian settlements.

Advertisements

According to him, the air task force dispatched an enhanced force package of attack aircraft and a surveillance platform to engage the location.

“Overhead the target area, the significant activity of the terrorists was observed in different parts of the settlement.

“The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets took turns in attacking the target area, neutralising many BHTs as well as destroying their logistics facilities and other structures in successive passes, thereby further degrading their will to fight.

Advertisements

“The armed forces of Nigeria, operating in concert with other security agencies and stakeholders, will sustain the offensive against the enemies of our great nation.

“We shall not relent until peace and normalcy are restored not only in the Northeast but also in every other troubled region of our beloved country,” he said.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

I am ready to accept ‘Boko Haram’ as in law – Leah Sharibu’s Mother. [Nigeria]


Rebecca Sharibu, mother of Leah, the Christian schoolgirl abducted by Boko Haram has said that she is ready to have any member of the Islamic terrorist group as a son-in-law if that will ensure the release of her daughter.

Leah has remained in Boko Haram enclave on account of her refusal to renounce her faith even after her fellow 109 abductees were released to their families a month later.

She was the only Christian among the 110 schoolgirls abducted by the Islamic State West African Province (ISWAP) from their school in Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.

Leah Sharibu turned 17 last Thursday, May 14, and marked her third birthday in captivity.

Rebecca further expressed disappointment with the President Muhammadu Buhari government’s unending negotiation for her daughter’s freedom, which she described as “a scam to satisfy themselves.”

Advertisements

Rebecca said that, “All that matters now is the safe arrival of my precious Leah.”

She said she is now ready to take even an outlaw for in-law, rather than lose her daughter, adding, “You may call him an outlaw, but to me, her husband will be my son. I will take and treat him as an in-law,” NobleReporters quote


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Troops kill 500 bandits, several others severely wounded. [Nigeria]

Advertisements

The Defence Headquarters said the Nigerian Armed Forces have neutralised over 500 Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists and bandits.

The operations were carried out between March 18 and May 5.

The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, stated this in an update on Wednesday.

Enenche said that several other terrorists suffered various degrees of gunshot wounds with narrow chances of survival.

Advertisements

He said Boko Haram’s logistics installations and networks were being destroyed, while 16 of their informants and logistics suppliers were arrested.

Enenche confirmed that some troops paid the supreme prize and others were wounded in action.

“Some villages attacked during the period were rescued by our gallant troops and normalcy was returned to the affected areas. A number of Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions conducted revealed criminal hideouts and their activities.

Advertisements

“Consequently, air interdictions were conducted, which led to the destruction of several BHT logistics facilities and compounds, housing some of their leaders including Abu Usamah and a number of their fighters who were eliminated,” he said.

Under Operation Hadarin Daji, combined troops comprising Land and Air Components, as well as other security operatives, recorded successes in Katsina and Zamfara States.

A total of 17 kidnapped victims were rescued and united with their families while several arms and ammunition among other equipment were recovered.

Advertisements

The military spokesman said troops also rescued 922 rustled cattle and 446 sheep.

The coordinator noted that there was a clampdown on armed militia and bandits in Benue and Taraba States.

Troops successfully rescued seven kidnapped victims and recovered large caches of ammunition and other items.

Advertisements

Also, seven bandits were killed by troops from contacts made at Toto in Nasarawa State and Anku Mbagen in Atera-Jange Torov Council Ward of Ukum Local Government Area of Benue.

In Maritime operations, 61 illegal refining sites were discovered during Anti-Crude Oil/Anti-Illegal Bunkering Operations in the Niger Delta region.

“In all, a total of 4,464.8 and 1,781,000 litres of crude oil were recovered as well as 1,756,900 litres of AGO; 116,000 litres of DPK; and 11,750 litres of PMS.

Advertisements

“During the Swamp Boogie Operations, several refining ovens, receivers, surface metal storage tanks/drums, coolers and dugout pits were deactivated and immobilised. Fishing trawlers were also arrested and handed over to NIMASA.”

Enenche added that 15 hostages were rescued, a barge and some weapons were recovered and 3 pipeline vandals arrested.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Boko Haram, ISWAP in trouble as Nigeria receive fighters jet


Nigeria has taken delivery of two fighter helicopters to bolster its campaign against , terrorists in Boko Haram and ISWAP, chief of air staff, AVM Sadique Abubakar said today.

He spoke after a meeting between President Buhari and all the security chiefs, before his departure to London for an investment summit.

Abubakar also announced that additional fighter helicopters and other military hardware would be supplied to the nation’s armed forces to enhance their capacity in the battle fields.


“In terms of procurement of platforms, substantial number of these equipment are expected by the end of February, some of the equipment we are acquiring have started arriving.

“For the Nigerian Air Force, two helicopter gunships arrived on the Jan. 15 and we are now in the process of putting them together to add to whatever we have already.


“I am sure you are also familiar with the equipment acquisition by the Nigeria Police Force; I am sure you are also familiar with the policy on community policing that was approved by the President.

“It is going to be funded and the whole idea is to ensure that Nigeria is secured and citizens can go about pursuing their legitimate aspirations without any hindrance.’’

According to Abubakar, Nigeria is collaborating with its neighbours to completely end the Boko Haram insurgency.

“We are doing everything with other sister countries in the Lake Chad basin, working together to ensure that Boko Haram terrorism is brought substantially to an end as much and as quickly as possible,” he said.


#Newsworthy…

Light in: ISWAP Planning To Abduct Travellers


The Islamic State in West Africa is planning fresh abductions of Nigerian citizens in Borno State, NobleReporters learnt.

Information culled by NobleReporters shows that insurgents, who beheaded 11 Christians on Christmas eve are planning major abductions in Benishiek, Ngala, Auno, Mainok, Dikwa-monguno and Biu.

The fresh plans follows a directive by #ISIS caliph al-Hashimi, instructing the intensification of attacks especially of Christians in the region.


The terrorist are currently occupying farms and villages along Biu Highway in preparation for further attacks. ISWAP on Christmas eve attacked Biu and killed seven Nigerian soldiers.

It also carted away sophisticated military equipment.

The United Nations estimates that the decade-long armed uprising in North-East Nigeria has killed 36,000 people and displaced around two million.

Soldiers on the frontline in Borno and Yobe states have repeatedly called for sophisticated weapons and timely intel to prevent casualty when ambushed by ISWAP terrorists.


#Newsworthy…

We should not be divided by terrorists – Buhari said.


Following the execution of some Christians by the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), President Muhammadu Buhari has appealed to Nigerians not to let terrorists divide the country along religious lines.

The terrorists had reportedly beheaded 11 Christian hostages on Christmas Day in Nigeria.


The militants said in a sickening video that the mass killing was in revenge for the deaths “of our leaders, including Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.”

ISWAP which includes supporters from Boko Haram, had released a shocking 56-second video.


According to a statement by the Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, Buhari said he was sad and shocked about the death in the hands of those he called remorseless, godless, callous gangs of mass murderers.

He said: “I am profoundly saddened and shocked by the death of innocent hostages in the hands of remorseless, godless, callous gangs of mass murderers that have given Islam a bad name through their atrocities


“We should, under no circumstance, let the terrorists divide us by turning Christians against Muslims because these barbaric killers don’t represent Islam and millions of other law-abiding Muslims around the world.

“As a president, the collective security of all Nigerians is my major preoccupation and the death of an innocent Christian or Muslim distresses me.”


The president said the terrorists have no clearly-defined agenda except the pursuit of evil through indiscriminate murder of innocent people, contrary to the teachings of Islam, which prohibits massacre.

“No true Muslim would be shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ while killing innocent people, an evil frequently condemned by the Holy Qur’an.


“These agents of darkness are enemies of our common humanity and they don’t spare any victim, whether they are Muslims or Christians, and therefore, we shouldn’t let them divide us and turn us against one another.

“The goal of these psychopaths is to cause confusion and spread distrust between Muslims and Christians, despite the fact that they aren’t representing the interest of Muslims or Islam.

“While I condemn this evil, I wish to reassure Nigerians that this administration will not lower its guards in the war against terrorism, and we will continue to intensify our efforts towards strengthening international cooperation and collaboration to break the backbone of these evil doers,” he said.

President Buhari called on all Nigerians to be united against terrorists and avoid unhelpful conspiracy theories that serve the interest of Boko Haram terrorists and ISWAP.


#Newsworthy…

We are not recruiting Ex Boko Haram Terrorists In The Military – DHQ

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has denied reports making the rounds that the Nigerian Armed Forces has commenced the recruitment of deradicalised Boko Haram ex-fighters into the military.

The DHQ said no Boko Haram ex-fighter has been recruited into the Nigerian military, and that the military does not have any such plans to do so now or in the future.

Director, Defence information, Colonel Brigadier General Onyema Nwachuku, made this known in a statement issued in Abuja.

The statement reads:

“The Defence Headquarters has been notified of false information peddled in some online media, insinuating that deradicalized Boko Haram ex-fighters are being absorbed into the Nigerian military.

“One of such insinuations is contained in a trending video footage where one Balhatu Musa Ezekiel claimed the Nigeria Army had recruited de-redicalized Boko Haram Ex-fighters into the Army and was therefore recycling insurgency.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to unambiguously state that Balhatu’s claims are not only bereft of truth, but laced with mediocrity emanating from poorly researched and uninformed position.

“Contrary to his claims, no Boko Haram ex-fighter has been recruited into the Nigerian military and no such plan is in the offing.

“The de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration program is a Federal Government program conducted under the auspices of Operation Safe Corridor as a non-kinetic operation.

“Nigeria’s De-radicalization model is a very effective one, targeted at low risk combatants and has become a classical example in the Lake Chad Basin Region and West Africa.

“Over 250 repentant insurgents who willingly abandoned their struggle and surrendered to federal troops have been de-radicalized, rehabilitated and re-integrated into the society by their respective state governments in conjunction with traditional and religious institutions.

“Nigeria’s De-radicalization model is therefore not new in the global community, as such model exists in Algeria, Colombia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, where persons involved in violent extremism have been de-radicalized and rehabilitated . This process is therefore an internationally acceptable practice now.

“So far in Nigeria, the de-radicalized ex-fighters are doing well in their respective communities, as no adverse report has been recorded against the de-radicalized repentant ex fighters by Operation Safe Corridor’s monitoring unit. There has not been report of molestation or harassment of any sort against them by members of the communities, where they are resettled. As a matter of verifiable fact, the reintegrated ex- fighters are doing well in their various endeavours and are positively impacting on their respective communities.

“It is also expedient to state, that the Federal Government of Nigeria has continued to prosecute BHT/ISWAP suspects in courts of competent jurisdiction and over 500 terrorists have so far been convicted. Meanwhile, the next round of prosecution of another batch of terrorism suspects is due to commence shortly.

“Members of the public are therefore enjoined to please discountenance the misinformation and misguided views peddled by Balhatu Musa Ezekiel, as it constitutes outright aberration of extant recruitment procedures and practice of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“The Defence Headquarters reiterates its commitment to ensuring a well motivated, trained and equipped Armed Forces that is professionally responsive to national security commitments.”

#Newsworthy…