FIFA could introduce a third transfer window to help clubs to recover when football resumes after the coronavirus crisis.
All of Europe’s major divisions were suspended indefinitely after measures were put in place by governments to halt the global spread of the virus.
With no income from ticket sales and matchday revenue, many clubs have had to furlough staff and ask players to take pay cuts to balance the books.
Meanwhile, summer transfer activity has been put on hold as clubs wait to see how badly they will be affected by the loss of income.
But there has been some good news for the world of football, after several Bundesliga sides returned to training last week.
The German top flight appears set to resume in early May, with the campaign concluding in June, though games are likely to be behind closed doors.
Other major leagues across Europe are hoping to follow suit but there is a strong likelihood that divisions will resume and end on very different dates.
If some leagues continue well into the year then FIFA are considering a flexible approach to transfers to allow teams to buy and sell players at different times.
At present, teams are permitted to sign players in two windows, in summer and winter but that now seems likely to change as a result of the pandemic.
FIFA’s director of football regulations said: ‘We could see the opening of a third transfer window, he said to NobleSports Reliable source.
A third transfer window would enable teams who have been badly hit financially to offload players and recoup some of losses.
On Sunday, Sources revealed that Tottenham are willing to sanction a world record £200 million sale of Harry Kane to Manchester United to balance the books.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is concerned that the club’s dip in income could have disastrous consequences as they continue to pay back a loan they took out to build their £1 billion stadium.