Tag Archives: Brazil

Ronaldinho loses appeal for release – Messi to help him with £3.25m.


Lionel Messi will fork out £3.25million to help Ronaldinho get out of prison, according to reports.

The Brazilian World Cup winner, 39, was arrested just over a week ago after allegedly entering Paraguay with a fake passport.

Ronaldinho has been warned that he could face up to six months in jail for using the alleged dodgy documents.

But NobleSport learnt that Messi plans to help his old Barcelona team-mate by hiring four top lawyers to take on his case.

It is reported that it will cost the Argentine ace up to £3.25million in legal fees.

Brazil legend Ronaldinho has lost a new appeal against his remand in prison.

The former Barcelona and AC Millan star was told late on Friday his fresh bid to be allowed out of jail and placed under house arrest had been rejected.

Lionel Messi is hoping to help his former team-mate get out of the jail

Paraguay’s Appeal Court said the former footballer posed a “medium to high” flight risk if his prison situation was modified.

His brother Roberto, who is being held in the same cell in a jail on the outskirts of the Paraguayan capital Asuncion, also had his appeal rejected.

The decision makes it more likely the pair will have to sit out the next six months behind bars.

Ronaldinho’s lawyers were offering a property bond as their get-out-of-jail card.

More than a dozen other people have now been placed under formal investigation over the passport scandal Ronaldinho and his brother have been caught up in.

The list includes the Brazilian businessman alleged to have handed them their passports and two women believed to be the rightful owners of the travel documents.

Police were first called to Ronaldinho’s luxury hotel two days before his March 6 arrest after a tip-off he had entered the country hours earlier to attend a charity launch and present his new book with a Paraguayan passport which stated he was a naturalised citizen.

Prosecutors have said the passport was requested by a woman before its contents were doctored to include Ronaldinho’s photo and full name – Ronaldo de Assis Moreira. His brother had a similar passport.

The former footballer was initially offered the chance of an escape from trial and a fine before a U-turn by prosecutors led to him being arrested in dramatic fashion last Friday at the Sheraton Hotel and hauled to court in handcuffs the following day.

An expert in financial crimes has now been drafted into the remodelled prosecution team leading the investigation after its scope was widened to look at possible money laundering.

Ronaldinho and his brother are claiming they were tricked.

His Paraguayan lawyer Adolfo Marin has said the former footballer had been given his Paraguayan passport as a “gift”.

He allegedly assumed it was an “honorary-type” document of no real value, and gave it to an official without thinking when he reached Paraguay because it was the “first thing he got out of his bag.”

Last weekend the lawyer branded Ronaldinho “stupid”, saying he hadn’t understand he had been given false documents to enter Paraguay.

Ronaldinho’s life has been under the microscope for all the wrong reasons since he won two Fifa World Player of the Year Awards as well as a Ballon d’Or at the peak of his playing career.

He officially retired from football in 2018 – which is the same year he was forced to deny bigamy claims.

He had his Brazilian passport confiscated after he was convicted alongside his brother of building an illegal fishing platform on a lake in a conservation area.

But Paraguayan prosecutors confirmed last week they had discovered it had been returned to him and he used it to leave Brazil on a flight from Sao Paulo.

The revelation has left a huge question mark over why Ronaldinho did not use the same passport when he entered Paraguay, with his lawyer’s comments about it being the “first thing” he laid his hands on being greeted with a mixture of derision and disbelief.

Last year it was reported the ex-Paris Saint-Germain only had £5 in his bank account.

Police raided Ronaldinho’s family home to seize assets in a bid to guarantee he paid fines due over the illegal fishing platform.

Officers were said last November to have seized three luxury cars and a piece of art from painter Andre Berardo


#NobleSport

Brazil: Heavy rainfall killed 54, 30,000 displaced, 18 missing ..


Over 30,000 people have been displaced by heavy rains in southeast Brazil that also killed 54 people and left 18 missing.

The storms in recent days caused floods and landslides, submerging entire neighborhoods and sending homes tumbling down hillsides in the states of Minas Gerais, Espirito Santo and Rio de Janeiro. Rains subsided by Monday, but were expected to resume later this week in some areas, NobleReporters learnt


Flooded roads created violent rapids, sweeping up victims, cars and other debris.
Those evacuated were being housed in makeshift shelters in churches, schools and fire stations. Local authorities have asked for donations of clothes, sheets and mattresses for the victims.

In Minas Gerais, 15,000 people were evacuated and in Espirito Santo nearly 10,000 more, according to local rescue efforts. In Rio, at least 6,000 were evacuated, according to local news media, citing figures from various municipalities. Rio state authorities didn’t immediately respond to a request for official data.

Local authorities warned that the Belo Horizonte metropolitan area, home to nearly 6 million people, could see up to 100 millimeters (4 inches) of rain in the next three days.

The city had 171 millimeters (6.7 inches) over one 24-hour period from Thursday to Friday, the highest rainfall in 110 years. Over 120 municipalities in Minas Gerais state have declared a state of emergency.


#Newsworthy…

13 years old dies after giving birth to her father’s child.


A thirteen-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her father for four years died while giving birth to his child.

Police in Brazil confirmed that the girl Luana Ketlen died on December 11 after she was admitted to hospital for severe abdominal pains before it was discovered that she was actually pregnant.

13-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her father for four-years dies giving birth to his child

Luana was induced to labour by doctors who helped her deliver a premature baby boy who miraculously survived, but the mother who was diagnosed with acute anaemia didn’t make it after suffering complications including cirrhosis of the liver, water on the lungs and low blood pressure

13-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her father for four-years dies giving birth to his child

Police later issued a warrant for her 36-year-old father Tome Faba, who they believed began abusing his daughter when she was just nine. He first went on the run before being caught in the city of Coari a week later.

Mr.Tome appeared in court for the first time on December 27 and was charged with child abuse and manslaughter.

13-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her father for four-years dies giving birth to his child

According to Mail Online, Luana died while being airlifted to a specialist hospital in Manaus, the Amazonas state capital, some 225 miles away (363km).


At a press conference, Coari police chief, José Barradas said: ‘The teenager lived with her parents in a rural area outside the city.

‘She did not realise, until two months ago when she began to feel pains in her abdomen, that she was five months pregnant.


‘Luana claimed she was ordered to go fishing with her father and was allegedly raped by him while there.’

The Police chief Barradas also alleged that Faba threatened to kill his daughter if she reported what was happening.

Barradas said: ‘Members of the family tried to step in and protect the child by alerting social services.

‘They reported the abuse to police and a warrant was issued for Tome’s arrest but before it could be executed Luana’s health deteriorated and she died shortly after childbirth’.


#Newsworthy…

Brazil approves sale of cannabis in pharmacies.

…says only the medicinal product

Brazil’s health watchdog on Tuesday approved the sale of cannabis-based products for medical use in pharmacies to people with a prescription.

The regulation, which takes effect in the coming months, also allows for the manufacture of such products in a laboratory, the Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency (Anvisa) said in a statement.

Anvisa is analyzing the possibility of permitting the cultivation of medical cannabis.

In recent years, several countries in Latin America have legalized cannabis for medical use, including Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico and Peru.

President Jair Bolsonaro has previously expressed support for medical cannabis. But the ultraconservative leader would “not permit loopholes in the law to be used for the planting and consumption of marijuana,” his spokesman Otavio Rego Barros told reporters in August.

Since 2015, Anvisa has allowed people with a medical prescription to import cannabidiol, or CBD, a non-psychoactive marijuana derivative, for the treatment of epilepsy and chronic illnesses.

The new regulation allows for the sale of products with a concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC — the main psychoactive constituent responsible for marijuana’s intoxicating effects — of more than 0.2 percent to terminally ill patients or those who have exhausted alternative treatment options.

Others will be allowed to buy medical cannabis products with a THC concentration of less than 0.2 percent.

#Newsworthy…

Brazil approves sale of cannabis in pharmacies.

…says only the medicinal product

Brazil’s health watchdog on Tuesday approved the sale of cannabis-based products for medical use in pharmacies to people with a prescription.

The regulation, which takes effect in the coming months, also allows for the manufacture of such products in a laboratory, the Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency (Anvisa) said in a statement.

Anvisa is analyzing the possibility of permitting the cultivation of medical cannabis.

In recent years, several countries in Latin America have legalized cannabis for medical use, including Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico and Peru.

President Jair Bolsonaro has previously expressed support for medical cannabis. But the ultraconservative leader would “not permit loopholes in the law to be used for the planting and consumption of marijuana,” his spokesman Otavio Rego Barros told reporters in August.

Since 2015, Anvisa has allowed people with a medical prescription to import cannabidiol, or CBD, a non-psychoactive marijuana derivative, for the treatment of epilepsy and chronic illnesses.

The new regulation allows for the sale of products with a concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC — the main psychoactive constituent responsible for marijuana’s intoxicating effects — of more than 0.2 percent to terminally ill patients or those who have exhausted alternative treatment options.

Others will be allowed to buy medical cannabis products with a THC concentration of less than 0.2 percent.

#Newsworthy…

Brazilian president jair faults Hollywood star, Leonardo for Amazon rainforest fire.

Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro has blamed Hollywood actor, Leonardo DiCaprio for making donations to nonprofit organizations that he claims are behind some of the fires in the Amazon rainforest.

Back in August, Earth Alliance, an environmental group co-founded by Leonardo DiCaprio, made a donation of $5m to help combat the fires that destroyed large parts of the Amazon rainforest.

But Speaking on Friday, November 29, Bolsonaro told supporters: ‘DiCaprio is a cool guy, isn’t he? Giving money to set the Amazon on fire.’

His comments comes after a police raid at the headquarters of two nonprofit groups in the Amazonian state of Para. According to Police, they are being investigated for allegedly igniting fires to obtain funding through nonprofits.

#Newsworthy…

Breaking – FIFA Bans Ex Brazil Football Chief For Taking Bribe. (He will not return)

World football’s governing body, FIFA has banned a former Brazil football chief for life for taking bribes to award contracts to companies for the media and marketing rights to CBF, Conmebol and Concacaf competitions.

Ricardo Teixeira, 72, a former FIFA executive committee and standing committee member who resigned in 2012, was also fined one million Swiss francs (907,000 euros) after he was found guilty of bribery in violation of the Fifa code of ethics.

FIFA said in a statement that its investigation into Teixeira focused on “bribery schemes” carried out between 2006 and 2012 “

“The investigation into Mr. Teixeira referred to bribery schemes, conducted during the 2006-2012 period, in relation to his role in awarding contracts to companies for the media and marketing rights to CBF, Conmebol and Concacaf competitions,” a Fifa statement said.

“In its decision, the adjudicatory chamber found that Mr. Teixeira had breached article 27 (Bribery) of the Fifa Code of Ethics (2018 edition) and, as a result, sanctioned him with a ban for life on taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level.”

Teixeira, a lawyer by profession, is also wanted by US authorities for his part in the major corruption scandal in 2015 that implicated the then head of FIFA Sepp Blatter and other top officials in world football.

His successor Jose Maria Marin was later arrested in Zurich during the scandal and extradited to the United States, where he was sentenced to four years in prison by the American courts. But Teixeira and another former CBF chief Marco Polo Del Nero have remained in Brazil and escaped extradition.

“Is there a safer place than Brazil? Which? Why would I run if here I’m not accused of anything? Everything they accuse me of abroad is not a crime in Brazil. Not that I’m saying if I did it or not,” he told the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper in 2017.

Mr. Teixeira is also under investigation in Andorra and Switzerland.

#Newsworthy..