Nigeria’s National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has exempted corps members posted to Borno State from the annual camping exercise.
“2020 Batch A Corps members serving in Borno State are exempted from Camp resumption,” NYSC said when it announced the exemption in a tweet on Wednesday.
NYSC, however, did not state any reason for the exemption to corps members posted to the northeast state. But recent events in the state suggests that it could be for security reasons.
Between November and December 2020 alone, more than 50 persons have lost their lives in attacks by Boko Haram, bandits and other insurgency groups in Borno State.
About 43 rice farmers were killed by Boko Haram in Zabarmari, about 20 kilometres from Maiduguri towards end of last year.
Borno State governor Babagana Zulum indicted the Nigerian army and police over insecurity in the state.
The indictment was triggered by multiple attacks and kidnap of 35 people by Boko Haram after the killing of the rice farmers.
“It is very disheartening and embarrassing to note that innocent commuters are being constantly killed and kidnapped along the Maiduguri/Kano road, particularly the 132-kilometre Maiduguri/Damaturu road,” Zulum said in December 2020.
“It is also annoying to note that those atrocities are committed between Jakana and Auno villages, a distance of only 20 kilometres from the capital.
“Surprisingly, we have a Brigade Commander with his team in Jakana. There is also a commanding officer with his battalion in Auno.”
The governor stated that the security agencies have failed to protect the citizens.