Although there were sensational reports that Cristiano Ronaldo might be on his way to Barcelona to link up with longtime rival Lionel Messi, it appears he will be staying at Juventus for now.
Some members of Ronaldo’s team have reportedly told NS that the rumours are ‘all false’ and that he will be remaining in Turin until the end of his contract.
Earlier on Thursday, Spanish journalist Guillem Balague had told the NS sources that the Serie A champions are desperate to offload his massive £28million wage bill, and had offered him to the Catalans, among other elite European teams.
The Italian giants can reportedly only afford to keep one out of Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala at the club for next season due to their financial situation and their desire to bring in at least one striker, a right back and a winger.
Both Ronaldo and Dybala have contracts running until 2022 with Juventus.
However, Barcelona have also been hit hard financially by the coronavirus pandemic, and are unlikely to be able to afford such a huge name.
A link up between Ronaldo and Messi has long been a dream of many fans. The two have been battling it out on the highest stage in football and dividing opinion as to who is the better player for over a decade.
They share eleven Ballon d’Or awards between them; Messi with six and Ronaldo with five, and have a combined 1,272 career goals.
After a hugely successful career with Real Madrid, Ronaldo joined Juventus in 2018, and has continued his impressive scoring run.
Meanwhile, Messi has spent his entire career at Barcelona, and has been the club’s talisman for over a decade.