The National Drug and Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed a total of 167,436 kilograms of drugs between January and August 2020.
Chairman and chief executive of the Agency, Colonel Muhammad Mustapha Abdallah(rtd) stated this at the public destruction of exhibits in Jos, the Plateau state capital.
He described the destruction of the illicit drugs as the triumph of good over evil which underscores the collective opposition to the nefarious activities of those determined to ruin people’s lives as well as endangering the great potentials of the country.
The NDLEA boss observed that illicit drug use in the country has reached a pandemic proportion which is worrisome as it has permeated every facet of the society and exacerbated insurgency in the country, radicalisation and violent extremism, cultism in campuses and domestic violence among others.
In view of the increasing population found to be dependent on drugs that cut across both public and private sector sectors including arms-bearing personnel, the agency has developed a drug integrity test initiative to be administered on all cases of people beginning with law enforcement agencies and civil service of the federation.
The forfeited drugs seized and destroyed consist of 3,592.862 kilograms of Cannabis Sativa, 13,104.799 kilograms of psychotropic substances and 7.2 grams of cocaine totaling 16,697.639 kilograms while over 40 acres of cannabis Sativa plantation were discovered and destroyed in some Local Government Areas of the state with 1,530 suspects arrested, prosecuted while 423 were convicted to various jail terms.
- We have moved to a new domain – visit www.normtimes.wordpress.com for our daily news.
- Haiti ‘prison break’ birth 25 deaths.
- Ganduje’s aide ‘locked up’ after comments on Buhari Gov’t.
- Ganduje’s Gov’t to enact forestry law on Kano.
- UN amplifies condemnation of schoolgirls’ abduction.
- Abducted students, teachers ‘set free.’
- Our Gov’t moves and reacts like snail – Sheikh Gumi.
- Parliamentary election begin months after Presidential election birth violence.
- KDSG restates commitment to improve healthcare.
- Protest rocks Armenia in demand for PM’s resignation.