A 37-year-old national of Benin Republic, Gbese Peter, has been arrested by operatives of Ogun State Police Command for defrauding a couple, Mr and Mrs Bamigboye Alao, of N5 million under the pretense of helping them to overcome their spiritual problems and shielding their children from untimely death.
The suspect was arrested following a complaint lodged at Sabo Police Station by Mrs Bamigboye, who reported that she and her husband met the suspect about five years ago when he started discussing with them about a serious calamity awaiting them and their children if an urgent spiritual step was not taken.
Out of fear of the unknown, they agreed to embark on the said spiritual journey and he took them to the Republic of Benin, where he gave them a wooden coffin, which he instructed them not to open until he asked them to do so.
She stated further that the suspect started collecting money from them until they coughed out a total sum of N5 million. When they realised that they had been swindled, the shock led to the death of her husband.
Upon receipt of the report, the DPO Sabo Division, SP Nicholas Tamunoinom, detailed his detectives to go after the suspect and with the help of members of the public, they succeeded in arresting him on July 25.
On interrogation, the suspect confessed to collecting money under false pretense from the couple, but claimed that he only duped them of N3.5 million and not N5 million as claimed by the woman, and that he had used the money to build a house for himself.
Recovered from the suspect were a wooden coffin containing white cloth and other substances, horn wrapped with white cloth and beads.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Edward Ajogun, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to the state criminal investigation and intelligence department for proper investigation and diligent prosecution.
- We have moved to a new domain – visit www.normtimes.wordpress.com for our daily news.
- Haiti ‘prison break’ birth 25 deaths.
- Ganduje’s aide ‘locked up’ after comments on Buhari Gov’t.
- Ganduje’s Gov’t to enact forestry law on Kano.
- UN amplifies condemnation of schoolgirls’ abduction.
- Abducted students, teachers ‘set free.’
- Our Gov’t moves and reacts like snail – Sheikh Gumi.
- Parliamentary election begin months after Presidential election birth violence.
- KDSG restates commitment to improve healthcare.
- Protest rocks Armenia in demand for PM’s resignation.