August is the eighth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. The month of August was originally named Sextilis in Latin since it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar. The name of the month was changed to August in honor of Augustus Caesar in 8 BCE. Continue Reading »
What is special about “August” ?
August is known for many things, including the dog days of summer, National Watermelon Day (Aug. 3) and National Smile Week (Aug. … August has two birthstones: peridot and sardonyx. Peridot is among the oldest known gemstones and is green in color. Continue Reading »
Who created “August” ?
Julius Caesar added two days when he created the Julian calendar in 46 BC (708 AUC), giving it its modern length of 31 days. In 8 BC, it was renamed in honor of Augustus. Continue Reading »
Seven things that happened in “August” | Historic
22 August 565: The Loch Ness monster is spotted for the first time. The story of the Loch Ness Monster was first popularised when a road was built across the loch in 1933. …
10 August 1792: The French monarchy topples. …
2 August 1990: Kuwait falls to Iraqi forces. …
23 August 1305: William Wallace dies a grisly death. Continue Reading »
What made “August” 31 days calendar month?
The months of January and February were added to the calendar and the original fifth and sixth months were renamed July and August in honour of Julius Caesar and his successor Augustus. These months were both given 31 days to reflect their importance, having been named after Roman leaders. Continue Reading »
Happy New Month
written by: Adigun Michael Olamide ‘Olamide Noble’
- We have moved to a new domain – visit www.normtimes.wordpress.com for our daily news.
- Haiti ‘prison break’ birth 25 deaths.
- Ganduje’s aide ‘locked up’ after comments on Buhari Gov’t.
- Ganduje’s Gov’t to enact forestry law on Kano.
- UN amplifies condemnation of schoolgirls’ abduction.
- Abducted students, teachers ‘set free.’
- Our Gov’t moves and reacts like snail – Sheikh Gumi.
- Parliamentary election begin months after Presidential election birth violence.
- KDSG restates commitment to improve healthcare.
- Protest rocks Armenia in demand for PM’s resignation.