The Federal Government says there are no conclusions yet with regard to ‘strange’ deaths in Kano State.
The Minister for Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, disclosed this on Thursday, in Abuja at the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.
NobleReporters reports that Kano State witnessed yet-to-be-explained deaths in the recent past.
No fewer than 150 people were feared dead in the state, prompting investigations to determine whether the deaths were related to COVID-19.
According to the minister, the unexplained deaths did not only occur in Kano but in eight states of the federation.
He gave the assurance that the ministry would continue to investigate them.
He said, “investigations were still ongoing in the matter.”
The minister also said that Nigeria had been able to learn from ongoing interactions with Chinese personnel, based on their own experiences in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic in China.
He encouraged those who claimed to have solutions to the COVID-19 pandemic to go ahead with research on them.
According to him, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is there for all researchers to approach.
He added: “Nobody needs to give you permission to approach NAFDAC.
“The latest statistics from the National Health Management Information System indicate that out-patient visits dropped from million to about two million and antenatal visits from 1.3 million to 655,000.
“Others include skilled birth attendance, from 158,374 to less than 99,000, while immunisation services reduced by about half.
“All these failings have yet undetermined consequences, which the easing of the lockdown should hopefully address.
“However, the suspected downside of easing restrictions has to be balanced off by citizens, with collective determination by all of us, not only to comply with protective and prophylactic advisories but to encourage relatives, friends neighbours and customers to do the same,” he said.