China’s death toll from the coronavirus discovered at the end of last year has risen to 80 and the total number of confirmed cases has risen to 2,744 cases as of January 26, the national health commission said in a statement on its website.
Meanwhile, China is mobilising medical staff to aid Hubei Province where local medical system was overwhelmed by a novel coronavirus outbreak. After the first group of medical teams arrived, 12 additional teams of more than 1,600 medical staff will be sent to aid coronavirus control.
Ma Xiaowei, director of the National Health Commission, said Sunday at a press conference that the medical staff will be sent out shortly, adding that authorities are also coordinating supplies urgently needed to control the outbreak, reports Xinhua.
Ma said the commission has called upon and sent more than 900 medical staff in seven teams to Hubei. The military also sent a 450-strong medical team.
More than 1,000 others are on standby, he said.
The central government allocated 1 billion yuan (143 million U.S. dollars) to fight the outbreak, sent its reserves of medical supplies and coordinated the transfer of protective clothing, face masks, gloves, and protective goggles to the hard-hit areas, Ma added.